Kaseya Community

Adobe Reader 9.2 released

• Hi all. Adobe Reader 9.2 got released late night tuesday 13:th Swedish time. I updated my deploy/update script right away. You should do the same. It works fine updating both 9.x versions and 8.x versions on XP and Vista. I did not have any older version on any machine (thanks to Kaseya). Please comment if you run the script on 5, 6, or 7 versions. Let me know how it went.

Script Name: KQ - Deploy Adobe Reader 9.2
    Script Description: Description: Deploys or updates previous Adobe Reader to version 9.2 silently to specified machine and writes a comment in the script log after completion for reporting.

Dependencies: Upload Adobe Reader 9.2 (any language)to the Kserver and edit the file path in step 1.

Usage: Run at any give time. The installer will update any previous 9.x version.

Script maintainer: ronny [at] upstream.se
    Support: This script is delivered "as is". No support included.

IF True
    THEN
    Write File
    Parameter 1 : #vAgentConfiguration.agentTempDir#\AdobeReader92.exe
    Parameter 2 : VSASharedFiles\Kaseya Quickstart\App Deployment\PDF\Adobe Reader\AdbeRdr920_sv_SE.exe
    OS Type : 1
    Execute File
    Parameter 2 : /sAll /rs /l /msi"/qb-! /norestart ALLUSERS=1 EULA_ACCEPT=YES SUPPRESS_APP_LAUNCH=YES"
    Parameter 3 : 3
    Delete File
    Write Script Log Entry
    Parameter 1 : Adobe Reader 9.2 installed successfully.
    ELSE

Legacy Forum Name: Adobe Reader 9.2 released,
    Legacy Posted By Username: eron
  • Ronny,

Thanks for the heads-up on the Acrobat Reader 9.2 release.

I will give your script a try.

Question... In the past, I have seen some other Acrobat Reader deployment scripts posted in the forum that had other registry key changes and file deletions - on order to supress first time run popup message, desktop icons, etc.

Based on your initial testing, do you know if there is any such behavior with 9.2? (desktop icons, popup messages, etc.)?

Legacy Forum Name: Scripts Forum,
    Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf
  • There are no radical changes in the installer compared to previous. The only thing my script does is remove the EULA splash screen and surpress app launch. The desktop icon remains. I have tested upgrading from Adobe Reader 8.1.3 to 9.2 and 9.1.x to 9.2 on both XP and Vista. Nothing visible for the customer. The only time you get a progressbar is if you decide to upgrade a 9.2 to 9.2 and there is no point in doing that other than repairing the app.

When it comes to removing the dektop icon and other reg tweaks you can do tha same as usual. Appdeploy.com has rather good suggestions.

• eron
    There are no radical changes in the installer compared to previous. The only thing my script does is remove the EULA splash screen and surpress app launch. The desktop icon remains. I have tested upgrading from Adobe Reader 8.1.3 to 9.2 and 9.1.x to 9.2 on both XP and Vista. Nothing visible for the customer. The only time you get a progressbar is if you decide to upgrade a 9.2 to 9.2 and there is no point in doing that other than repairing the app.

When it comes to removing the dektop icon and other reg tweaks you can do tha same as usual. Appdeploy.com has rather good suggestions.

Do you know if Adobe has fixed the installer so that it'll run on machines with UAC enabled, or as the SYSTEM account? It didn't for any machine needed patches in the 9.1 series.

Andrew

Legacy Posted By Username: andrew.doull@computer-care.com.au
  • To answer my own question - looks like they have.

A revised script below, for the US English version - with a couple of refinements.

1. Avoid running the update if someone is using Adobe Acrobat and retry an hour later.
    2. I prefer putting installers in the temp folder (not the agent temp folder) and not deleting them. That way we save on bandwidth if we try running this multiple times, and we can clean the temp folder if we run out of disk space. YMMV.

Script Name: Install or Update to Adobe Reader 9.2
    Script Description: Description: Deploys or updates previous Adobe Reader to version 9.2 silently.

IF Application is Running
    Parameter 1 : Acrord32.exe
    THEN
    Execute Script
    Parameter 1 : Install or Update to Adobe Reader 9.2 (NOTE: Script reference is NOT imported. Correct manually in script editor.
    Parameter 2 : 1
    Parameter 3 : 2
    OS Type : 0
    ELSE
    Get Variable
    Parameter 1 : 4
    Parameter 2 :
    Parameter 3 : agentDrive
    Write File
    Parameter 1 : #agentDrive#temp\AdbeRdr92_en_US.exe
    Parameter 2 : VSASharedFiles\bin\32bit\AdbeRdr920_en_US.exe
    Execute File
    Parameter 1 : #agentDrive#temp\AdbeRdr92_en_US.exe
    Parameter 2 : /sAll /rs /l /msi"/qb-! /norestart ALLUSERS=1 EULA_ACCEPT=YES SUPPRESS_APP_LAUNCH=YES"
    Parameter 3 : 3
    Write Script Log Entry
    Parameter 1 : Adobe Reader 9.2 installed successfully.

• I have deployed many versions and updates of Adobe Reader over the years and have not encountered any problems with UAC/Vista. Can you describe this problem a little bit more? I am curious.

• Hi
    Has anyone got a URL that I can download 9.2 update for windows xp & vista?
    The Acrobat download manager kicks in when I tried to download the 9.2 patch update. If you could share the 9.2 distributable URL, that would be great.
    Thanks

Legacy Posted By Username: ptun
  • nevermind, i found it

Legacy Posted By Username: ptun
  • eron
    I have deployed many versions and updates of Adobe Reader over the years and have not encountered any problems with UAC/Vista. Can you describe this problem a little bit more? I am curious.

IIRC I found problems with applying patches to 9.1 on systems with UAC. Upon recollection, it might equally have been trying to run the install on Vista as the SYSTEM account and having Interactive Services Detection interrupt the install.

Regards,

Andrew Doull

• It is possible that there was a programt that was open; Internet Explorer or AcroRD32.exe itself that caused this?
    I have seen this dialog pop-up when doing Java installs and IE was still open via Kaseya script.

I have found an interactive services display script by the infamous Benjamin on the forums that I am now using as a RunOnce script for my Vista templates.

Contrary to the reply, I do not get a UAC / IS prompt upon running the script (tested on Vista and 7 boxes)

Legacy Posted By Username: quicktech