Kaseya Community

Local Area Connection Speed

• Does anyone have a script that will show what the Local Area Connection Speed of the Network Adapter is? I'd like to be able to identify all NICs running at 100Mbs.

Thanks!

Legacy Forum Name: Local Area Connection Speed,
    Legacy Posted By Username: billmccl
  • netspeed.zip
    I just threw something together. Hopefully it will work for you can refine it even more.

Good luck,

Matt

Legacy Forum Name: Scripts Forum,
    Legacy Posted By Username: connectex
  • Thanks Matt, but unfortunately my Speed is Null/Blank. I have tried at least 5 different scripts (all pretty similar) but the speed comes back Null/Blank.

• netspeed_v2.zip
    Eureka! I was looking at network card information. It's not there consistently. I noticed that it often returned all cards not just the active ones. The information is in the performance data section!!!! Try this one out and let me know.

Matt

• Seems at least a few people here are interested in this. However, no one has reported back on how it worked or if it was even helpful. Please update me so I know the status.

Thanks,

Matt

• connectex
    Seems at least a few people here are interested in this. However, no one has reported back on how it worked or if it was even helpful. Please update me so I know the status.

Thanks,

Matt

Have no idea what I would use it for, but it works well, lol it told me that all but 3 workstations covered are running at gig speeds...

Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty
  • Yes, the 2nd script worked.

Thanks!!

• Great to hear it was helpful. Remember I do take tips. Just throw them my way. BTW, no coins they really hurt!!! Big Smile

Just one thing. I noticed the other day a couple workstations reported back they were running at only 10Mb. I thought this has to be wrong no one uses 10Mb any more. Plus these systems were just installed last month and I know the site has a gigabit switch. So I logged on and ran the script manually. It reported back 1Gb now. So I logged out and run the script again. But it still said 10Mb again. These systems are Dell OptiPlex 760 with Intel VPro. So I'm wondering if the VPro component has something to do with it misreporting the speed if someone is not logged on. If anyone has more information let me know.

Matt

• I just ran the script on our one VPro machine and it came back as being gigbit... I think vpro was either disable or puposfully misconfigured so that could be why I get the result that I did... not sure

• For the 2nd script, counting zeros is not fun, you can make the change below to send back either 100 or 1000

For Each objItem In colItems
    nic_speed = objItem.CurrentBandwidth
    nic_calc_speed = (nic_speed/1000000)
    WScript.Echo "Name: " & objItem.Name
    WScript.Echo "CurrentBandwidth: " & nic_calc_speed
    WScript.Echo
    Next

Legacy Posted By Username: ryan.odwyer
  • ryan.odwyer
    For the 2nd script, counting zeros is not fun, you can make the change below to send back either 100 or 1000

Use the log parser to count for you!

• I just posted it to help provide a simple method of getting the actual negotiated network speed. Yes, you can improve on the code easily. It's just a simple code snippet not really a complete program. However, you are assuming the connection speed is at least 100Mb. Your code will print decimals for any speed under 100Mb. The best way would be to use a loop dividing the speed by 1,000 until you can no longer do so and then add the proper extension based on the number of times the loop executed (Kb, Mb, Gb, etc.)

Matt

• netspeed_final.zip
    Since I basically had a the formentioned routine in my file cleanup script, I modified it for this one. This one is a complete program, a help screen (for those confuse people), and easy to read speed output (Kb, Mb, or Gb).

Enjoy,

Matt

• HAHA you're too kind...

but that last window kills me... it's just blank

can you remove it?

/me runs and hides

• thirteentwenty
    HAHA you're too kind...

but that last window kills me... it's just blank

can you remove it?
     * ImportUser runs and hides

It's actually designed to be ran from the command line via cscript. The last line is there to split up the information when multiple cards are found Smile