Kaseya Community

IE 7 Silent Install

• I'm not sure if I'm just blind or if no one actually shared this... I just put together a machine (XP pre-SP1)... thats right PRE SP1... and have just found that IE7 is no longer part of the "automatic updates"... I've blocked the install of IE8 because... well we all know the issues with that... and to my surprize IE6 was still installed, even though IE7 was allowed... there were no prompts for it or anything... Mind you, you do need SP2 installed to run this.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?>
    <folderDef0 id="68982864" name="Install IE 7">
      <scriptDef id="30360865" name="Install IE 7">
        <scriptIf ifFunc="1" fp1="" fp2="" fp3="" ifTest="0" testVal="" scriptType="0" description="This script should install IE 7" />
        <scriptThenElse teType="0" stepNum="1" teFunc="26" fp1="10" fp2="" fp3="agentTemp" osType="0" contOnFail="0" />
        <scriptThenElse teType="0" stepNum="2" teFunc="5" fp1="#agentTemp#/IE7-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe" fp2="VSASharedFiles\IE7-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe" fp3="" osType="0" contOnFail="0" />
        <scriptThenElse teType="0" stepNum="3" teFunc="7" fp1="#agentTemp#/IE7-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe" fp2="/quiet /passive /norestart" fp3="1" osType="0" contOnFail="0" />
        <scriptThenElse teType="0" stepNum="4" teFunc="3" fp1="#agentTemp#/IE7-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe" fp2="" fp3="" osType="0" contOnFail="0" />
      </scriptDef>
      <scriptDef id="3561058" name="Prevent IE7 first run">
        <scriptIf ifFunc="1" fp1="" fp2="" fp3="" ifTest="0" testVal="" scriptType="0" description="This will prevent the IE7 First run dialog from showing up" />
        <scriptThenElse teType="0" stepNum="1" teFunc="11" fp1="HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\RunOnceHasShown" fp2="1" fp3="REG_DWORD" osType="0" contOnFail="0" />
        <scriptThenElse teType="0" stepNum="2" teFunc="11" fp1="HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\RunOnceComplete" fp2="1" fp3="REG_DWORD" osType="0" contOnFail="0" />
      </scriptDef>
    </folderDef0>

Note 1: I've set the /norestart option, but the computer will need to reboot for IE7 to finish installing... Note 2: the download location changed once on me already which is why i opted to store the file on my kserver... the new location is here... The second script in the folder is to get rid of the first run page for IE7 for what ever user is logged on at the time. (I'm not sure if IE7 will install without a user logged I only had to do this once... if anyone has the chance to do this please chime in) Edit:: If anyone knows the key to kill the first run page for all users please share =)

Legacy Forum Name: IE 7 Silent Install,
    Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty

[edited by: Brendan Cosgrove at 12:48 PM (GMT -8) on 12-13-2010] .
  • thirteentwenty

Edit:: If anyone knows the key to kill the first run page for all users please share =)

You may have to use a GPO for that. If that isn't an option, then you could modify your domain logon script that calls REG.exe IMPORT . Another option would be to have your kaseya script put a batch file in the Documents and Settings\All Users\Startup folder that calls the same REG.exe command.

Steve

Legacy Forum Name: Scripts Forum,
    Legacy Posted By Username: ARNNTW
  • There is a group policy in place for this as noted here, personally I don't like to use GPO for this sort of thing (just a personal thing). I just thought it would be easier if we could drop it in the registry all in one shot, kind of like the script that I did that kills the "New user tour" for XP.

Legacy Forum Name: Scripts Forum,
    Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty