Kaseya Community

Script to install Latest Adobe Reader

• As do most people we use Adobe Acrobat Reader. most of the computers we manage have numerous different versions of the reader already installed along with the updater that drives them crazy. I understand the latest installs actually remove previous versions (most of them) and thus a script to silently install the reader, deal with the EULA agreement, and common settings, not create a desktop icon.

Is anyone doing this? Any and all help would be appeciated.

I believe the latest version is 9

Does this link help?

http://www.capslockassassin.com/2008/07/06/adobe-acrobat-reader-9-silent-install/

I am very new to scripting and have been able to modify some scripts and am a real newbie...

Legacy Forum Name: Script to install Latest Adobe Reader,
    Legacy Posted By Username: ywtt
  • This is a script I use to great success;

Script Name: Deploy Adobe Reader 9.0
    Script Description: Deploy Adobe Reader 9.0 - This will download the file from the KServer and install it silently. Please note, this file is 34mb in size, so for larger cilents please create a script to download the file to their server and then deploy it to the workstations!

IF True
    THEN
    Get Variable
    Parameter 1 : 4
    Parameter 2 :
    Parameter 3 : agentDrv
    OS Type : 0
    Write File
    Parameter 1 : #agentDrv#temp\AdbeRdr90_en_US.exe
    Parameter 2 : VSASharedFiles\LWX_MS_Installs\AdbeRdr90_en_US.exe
    Execute File
    Parameter 1 : #agentDrv#temp\AdbeRdr90_en_US.exe
    Parameter 2 : /sAll /rs /l /msi"/qb-! /norestart ALLUSERS=1 EULA_ACCEPT=YES SUPPRESS_APP_LAUNCH=YES"
    Parameter 3 : 3
    ELSE

However, this WILL create a desktop icon (though its fairly easy to add a step to delete this) and the first time users run this program they will get a EULA they have to accept - though I believe this is unavoidable.)

You need to download the latest Adobe 9.0 file and upload it to your KServer for this script to work.

Cheers,

Legacy Forum Name: Scripts Forum,
    Legacy Posted By Username: LANWorx
  • To customize the setup (like get rid of the EULA and the desktop icon), you will need the customization wizard. Unfortunately, it is not yet available for version 9. I would expect it soon.
    Then you can extract the msi from the exe, customize the install and then change your script to use that msi and the associated transform file.

Legacy Posted By Username: rhayes@expertnetsolutions.com
  • This is what I've got, i found it a pain to push out the setup file and use my bandwidth. Also applies the registry edits to stop certain things from showing up.

Script Name: Install Acrobat Reader 9
    Script Description: Downloads Adobe Reader 9 and installs silently
    IF True
    THEN
    Get Variable
    Parameter 1 : 10
    Parameter 2 :
    Parameter 3 : temp
    Get URL
    Parameter 1 : ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.0/enu/AdbeRdr90_en_US.exe
    Parameter 2 : #temp#\AdbeRdr90_en_US.exe
    Execute File
    Parameter 1 : #temp#\AdbeRdr90_en_US.exe
    Parameter 2 : /sAll /rs /l
    Set Registry Value
    Parameter 1 : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\9.0\Downtown\bDontShowAtLaunch
    Parameter 2 : 1
    Parameter 3 : REG_DWORD
    Set Registry Value
    Parameter 1 : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\9.0\Downtown\bGoOnline
    Parameter 2 : 0
    Parameter 3 : REG_SZ
    Set Registry Value
    Parameter 1 : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\9.0\AdobeViewer\EULA
    Parameter 2 : 00000001
    Set Registry Value
    Parameter 1 : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\9.0\AdobeViewer\Launched
    Set Registry Value
    Parameter 1 : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\9.0\AdobeViewer\bCheckForUpdatesAtStartup
    Delete File
    ELSE

Legacy Posted By Username: ryan.odwyer
  • Well now I just feel stupid for using wget to download files, i never knew you could use "GET URL" command!

FYI for anyone who imports this script, the download URL in step 2 got compacted and does not work, it should be "ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.0/enu/AdbeRdr90_en_US.exe"

Thanks for the script ryan, great work!

Legacy Posted By Username: Resistance2Fly
  • Good stuff...
    The only trouble with getting the exe is that you don't get to do the customizations for deployment that makes support later easier (like disabling the updates, removing certain "extra" features, etc.)
    On that last note...the Version 9 customization tool is now available to craft your own MST's for use with the install.
    Just to go around in a circle...the good thing about the exe is it is much smaller than the msi with the mst.

• Two items regarding installing Acrobat Reader v9.....

1) Are you guys removing prior versions of Acrobat Reader 5,6,7,8? or are you just leaving them?

2) I wanted to delete the "Acrobat.com" and "Adobe Reader 9" icons that get placed on the desktop after installing Acrobat Reader 9. I added Execute Shell Commands for the following:

ERASE "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Desktop\Acrobat.com.lnk"
    ERASE "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Desktop\Adobe Reader 9.lnk"

Seems to work. But there may be a better way.

Lloyd

Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf
  • The customization tool allows you to not have the link on the destop and also specify that you want this install to replace prior versions.

• It looks like the reader 9 installer removes the previous version

• I was workign on my daughter's computer yesterday when I was playing with this. (Yes, I have my own home PC downstairs, but hers is upstairs!)

My Add/Remove Programs shows Acrobat Reader 5 and Acrobat Reader 9 currently installed. I did not look at Add/Remove Programs prior to installing v9, so I am not sure if there were any versions between v6 and v8 that were installed.

Lloyd

Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf
  • Looks like it de-installs versions with 8.x
    Have tested this and works neatly.

No older versions of reader exist on the clients here.

Legacy Posted By Username: gdekeijzer
  • I added a little bit.
    This kills the 2 startups it adds. speed launcher and acrobat assistant. And deletes the adobe air shortcut from the start menu as well.
    thanks for the great start!!

Script Name: Install Acrobat Reader 9
    Script Description: Downloads Adobe Reader 9 and installs silent

IF True
    THEN
    Get Variable
    Parameter 1 : 10
    Parameter 2 :
    Parameter 3 : temp
    Get URL
    Parameter 1 : ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.0/enu/AdbeRdr90_en_US.exe
    Parameter 2 : #temp#\AdbeRdr90_en_US.exe
    Execute File
    Parameter 2 : /sAll /rs /l
    Set Registry Value
    Parameter 1 : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\9.0\Downtown\bDontShowAtLaunch
    Parameter 2 : 1
    Set Registry Value
    Parameter 1 : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\9.0\Downtown\bGoOnline
    Parameter 3 : REG_SZ
    Set Registry Value
    Parameter 1 : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\9.0\AdobeViewer\EULA
    Set Registry Value
    Parameter 1 : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\9.0\AdobeViewer\Launched
    Set Registry Value
    Parameter 1 : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\9.0\AdobeViewer\bCheckForUpdatesAtStartup
    Delete File
    Execute Shell Command
    Parameter 1 : ERASE "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Desktop\Acrobat.com.lnk"
    Execute Shell Command
    Parameter 1 : ERASE "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Desktop\Adobe Reader 9.lnk"
    Execute Shell Command
    Parameter 1 : ERASE "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\Acrobat Assistant.lnk"
    Delete Registry Value
    Parameter 1 : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\Adobe Reader Speed Launcher
    Execute Shell Command
    Parameter 1 : ERASE "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\Acrobat.com.lnk"
    ELSE

Legacy Posted By Username: JointTech
  • Im looking to build on this script but I cant quite get it right. I have a domain with several seperate subnets located on different campuses. Each campus has its own dc and patchstaging share. I would like to be able to download the adobe installer to the seperate patchstaging shares and then execute a script that would pull the adobe installer from each patchstaging folder dependant on location and install it. Pulling it from the main KServer at my office or the internet is not an option due to all of the locations using the same internet connection. Im trying to avoid crushing their internet connection but at the same time Im tyring to get this done ASAP.

Thank you.

Legacy Posted By Username: Austin
  • If you have Active Directory setup correctly you could use the %logonserver% variable to get them all pointing to their local DC.

• thanks for the reply. ended up rolling it out. group policy.

Legacy Posted By Username: Austin