Kaseya Community

User Profiles

• I am in the need of a script that will let me take a local user profile and convert it into a new Active Directory user profile. Anyone have any ideas?

Legacy Forum Name: User Profiles,
    Legacy Posted By Username: akoop
  • We have done this manually in the past for clients moving from a workgroup to a domain. If you check the registry key HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\ProfileList\ you will see an entry for each user. Each entry contains the location of the profile and the SID of the account. If you knew the SID of the AD account you could change this.

We manually log on as the AD user and let it create a profile, then go into the registry and change the path to point to the old profile.

Legacy Forum Name: Scripts Forum,
    Legacy Posted By Username: eddy@dgs.com.au
  • I have used the free version of User Profile Wizard to accomplish this task, it works very well. If you don't mind spending some money then they have a corporate version which support scripting:

FAQ:
    Will I have to visit every machine on my network to run the Wizard?
    Absolutely not. The User Profile Wizard has two distinct modes of operation. You can run the Wizard in graphical mode like all the other Wizards you're familiar with in Windows, but you can also run the User Profile Wizard from a command line. This means that the User Profile Wizard can be run from a VB or Java Script, or from a batch file. The User Profile Wizard Deployment Kit can generate a VBScript based on your specific migration requirements. Running the User Profile Wizard from a command line is only possible if you have the Corporate Edition of the User Profile Wizard

Legacy Posted By Username: djmundy
  • eddy@dgs.com.au
    We have done this manually in the past for clients moving from a workgroup to a domain. If you check the registry key HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\ProfileList\ you will see an entry for each user. Each entry contains the location of the profile and the SID of the account. If you knew the SID of the AD account you could change this.

We manually log on as the AD user and let it create a profile, then go into the registry and change the path to point to the old profile.

http://community.kaseya.com/xsp/f/114/p/3888/16353.aspx#16353

Confirming that this works.

Legacy Posted By Username: sequoya
  • If the user for whom you do this was a local admin on the machine, but you do not want them to be afterwards (local admin --> local user) you can expect some chaos to ensue in the registry and on the permissions for the profile itself. I have found that if you are doing this, the best way is to use the USMT and then dump the contents into the new domain profile.

Legacy Posted By Username: matcomm