Kaseya Community

Missing System Info

• I am hoping somebody else out there has ran across this and could help. A couple hundred machines that my company monitors are missing system info in Kaseya. Even after re-running sytem information audits this info is still missing. After doing some looking into this issue I have discovered that if Microsoft System Info does not have complete information then neither will Kaseya; It pulls from Microsoft's. Mainly what I am interested in is Manufacturer of the machine and a serial number along with the machine Specs.
    I have found a couple of programs that could be ran on the machines (Belarc Advisor, SysSpec, and Astra32) that are supposed to find this information even if Microsoft cannot. However I have not fully tested these.
    First, how many other people have experienced this issue?
    Second, does anybody have a workaround or sugestions to find this information, preferably via a script and without disturbing the client.
    Thanks.

Legacy Forum Name: Missing System Info,
    Legacy Posted By Username: JonJohnston
  • What brand machines are they?

Legacy Forum Name: Scripts Forum,
    Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • boudj
    What brand machines are they?

Every brand possible. Some are Dell, some HP, Systemax, Lenovo...
    Some machines have absolutely nothing, some come up as SYS-1234567890, some as To Be Filled by O.E.M.
    Some of these machines are only missing partial info, ex. a Dell machine might show Dimension but no model or service tag number.

• Weird... is there some kind of firewall or security in place that is blocking? In other words does you K agent install have the security it needs to do its job?

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • JonJohnston
    Every brand possible. Some are Dell, some HP, Systemax, Lenovo...
    Some machines have absolutely nothing, some come up as SYS-1234567890, some as To Be Filled by O.E.M.
    Some of these machines are only missing partial info, ex. a Dell machine might show Dimension but no model or service tag number.

That kind of information is stored in the SMBIOS, not the registry or the oeminfo files. WMI queries the SMBIOS that info, then Kaseya probably queries WMI. If the SMBIOS doesn't have the proper info, neither will Kaseya or WMI (or anything really).

I'd guess that most of the ones that are missing info are whiteboxes by a small vendor or are home/self built. Usually that larger OEMs flash the right info in the SMBIOS so the Microsoft pre-activation works correctly.

You can try to edit the SMIBIOS with DMIScope (Tools / Utilities -> DMIScope), but I would advise against it if they aren't your machines.

Legacy Posted By Username: CeruleanBlue
  • [quote user="CeruleanBlue"]That kind of information is stored in the SMBIOS, not the registry or the oeminfo files.
    I'd guess that most of the ones that are missing info are whiteboxes by a small vendor or are home/self built. Usually that larger OEMs flash the right info in the SMBIOS so the Microsoft pre-activation works correctly.

That is what I assumed at first, whitebox machines. However after doing some further looking at the machines several of them are Dells which is not a whitebox. I just thought it was strange how several OEM machine have partial information only.
    It is not a big deal, was just wondering if anybody else had came across this.

Thanks.

• I think we've seen it before on a few of our internal HP machines.. I think we ended up manually entering them.

Legacy Posted By Username: LANWorx