Kaseya Community

Installing Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0

• Hello to all.

The Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0 installation shows in Kaseya Patch Management as manual installation required. I am trying to work on a script to install it. It didn't seem very hard as first, but I am running into a problem.

I downloaded dotnetfx.exe from the Microsoft site to my kserver. My script downloads the dotnetfx.exe file from my kserver to the local agent temp folder, and then executes with the /Q parameter. But the problem is that a "Welcome to the Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0 Setup Wizard" window is displayed, requires clicking Next, etc.

If I run dotnetfx.exe with the /? paramater, it lists the command line options, and /Q is listed as a valid paramater.

I tried /Q and /q - both behaved the same way.

Does anyone know how to get dotnetfx.exe for the Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0 installation to run via Kaseya script - without any user prompts?

As always, thanks in advance.

Lloyd

Legacy Forum Name: Installing Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0,
    Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf
  • Hi Lloyd,

This is the command we're using to execute dotnetfx.exe silently:

#vAgentConfiguration.agentTempDir#\dotnetfx.exe /q /c:"install.exe /v/qb-"

Note that there is not a space between c: and "install.exe...".

Legacy Forum Name: Scripts Forum,
    Legacy Posted By Username: arobar
  • Alex,

Thanks so much! That seemed to work - eliminating the GUI for the wizard.

I did some mroe Googling on the parameters you supplied, and found them on www.AppDeploy.com. I have to remember to start looking at that site when searching for command line parameters.

I do have two follouwp questions....
    1) I noticed when testing that one or two installation progress bars were displayed in a popup. Do you know if there is any way to hide the installation progress bar(s)?

2) Do you know if a reboot is required, or not?

Thanks very much.

Lloyd

• With regards to the progress bars, I believe that the last parameter (\qb-) refers to "quiet, with a basic user interface". I haven't tried it, but I read that you can also deploy with "\qn-" (quiet, with no user interface) to get the effect you are asking about.

For reboots, that's a good question. I've setup my script to reboot the PC "just because". It's safer than not doing it, I guess. I did notice that if I run a patch scan after the .NET 2.0 script runs, it will detect that the the framework is installed before the PC has rebooted. Technically, I don't think a reboot is required, it's just good practice.

• Thansk very much. I will try the \qn- next time I have a chance to run the script on a machien missing .NET 2.0.

On my test machine, after a patch scan, it still showed as missing. That is why I was asking abotu the requirement for a reboot. Generally speaking, we reboot as a best/common practice anyway.

Lloyd

• Anyone know how to get this script to first download the .NET file from Microsoft's servers rather than my Kaseya server?

Legacy Posted By Username: djmundy
  • djmundy
    Anyone know how to get this script to first download the .NET file from Microsoft's servers rather than my Kaseya server?

Use the Get URL script primitive and point it to this location:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/6/7/567758a3-759e-473e-bf8f-52154438565a/dotnetfx.exe

Michael

Legacy Posted By Username: RCS-Michael
  • Alex,

FYI... I just had a chance to install .Net Framework v2 on another computer. I changes the switch from "\qb-" to "\qn-" and it successfully installed siletnly - no pop progress bars, etc. Yeah! Thanks very much!

I again tried a Kaseya Patch Scan immediately after installation - prior to a reboot, and it still showed .Net Framework v2 as missing. So it seems that a reboot is not only good practice, but a requirement in this case - at least to get it reported as being installed.

Lloyd

• It still bugs me that we need to write scripts for things like this, when we were told Kaseya patch management would do it...

Legacy Posted By Username: FCCSonline
  • FCCSonline
    It still bugs me that we need to write scripts for things like this, when we were told Kaseya patch management would do it...

That's easier said then done though. The patches that we can deploy via Kaseya only have one download link in their KB. The parser software can prep the patch for install since there's only one option. The auto-update only patches are the way they are because their KBs have multiple download links. The parser software does not know which one to pick. Even if you had a team of people manually checking these patches and picking one of the links, the package they pick might fit for you, but not for me and my environments.

• I understand that, but that's why I paid them tens of thousands of dollars and pay monthly maintanence: so I don't have to spend time on things like this. I consider that their job.

Legacy Posted By Username: FCCSonline
  • -Get variable for agent temp path
    -Write the file
    -Lets say its #Temp_Path#\dotnet20(x86).exe is where the file is
    -Execute it with these switches
    #Temp_Path#\dotnet20(x86).exe /q:a /c:"install /l /q"
    -

Legacy Posted By Username: markgsu
  • markgsu
    -Get variable for agent temp path
    -Write the file
    -Lets say its #Temp_Path#\dotnet20(x86).exe is where the file is
    -Execute it with these switches
    #Temp_Path#\dotnet20(x86).exe /q:a /c:"install /l /q"
    -

You don't need to get the variable - the variable's already been gotten Smile

#vAgentConfiguration.agentTempDir#

Michael

Legacy Posted By Username: RCS-Michael