Kaseya Community

New Scripting Language or .NET Support

• Dear Kaseya,

We love the VSA but your scripting language is, ahem, weak. We understand the initimate relationship that scripting has with the KServer so it has been "purpose-built". However, we're all out here doing all kinds of goofy things to accomplish tasks that modern programming languages do easily.

At the risk of offending the Linux/Mac/other crowd, how about building a .NET class that talks to the KServer and giving us an abstract base class to start from? We could then script our behinds off in whatever language we love and the power of YOUR system would be magnified 100x by all of the .NET stuff we could then use.

How about it?

Legacy Forum Name: New Scripting Language or .NET Support,
    Legacy Posted By Username: sequoya
  • I'm not sure I understand what you're asking for here. Is there something you can't accomplish by using Kaseya's scripts to call one of your own .NET scripts? The way it is now, I can use a Kaseya script to call any program or script on any supported platform. Can you elaborate on how what you've described would enhance the way things work?

Legacy Forum Name: Scripts Forum,
    Legacy Posted By Username: arobar
  • arobar
    I'm not sure I understand what you're asking for here. Is there something you can't accomplish by using Kaseya's scripts to call one of your own .NET scripts? The way it is now, I can use a Kaseya script to call any program or script on any supported platform. Can you elaborate on how what you've described would enhance the way things work?

I think he's talking about .NET classes for the KServer itself. This would be very cool and would be a great start to a more advanced API.

Legacy Posted By Username: RCS-Michael
  • arobar
    Can you elaborate on how what you've described would enhance the way things work?

Yes. We use VB scripts, .NET applications, batch files and other ways to "extend" Kaseya's scripting ability. BUT, the connections between the scripting domain and the application domain are tenuous at best. Some examples:

• Kaseya scripting can't capture the ERRORLEVEL return from an .EXE that it launches.
    • Kaseya only supports IF/THEN/ELSE control branching and even then it's only 1 test per script.
    • Retrieving SQL variables is limited to scalar results with no filtering capability. There are database views (installed apps is an example) that are accessible but useless because they return humongous result sets that I can't process.

These are just a few examples and there are LOTS more where that came from. Building a language is a sophisticated and time-consuming process that is really beyond the scope of Kaseya.

Why do that?

Why not tap into the powerhouse of .NET languages that already exist by just building a Kaseya base class and some helper classes that provide the "plumbing" back to the KServer? Then we can all go nuts out here building all kinds of cool stuff that enhances the value of Kaseya's product but their investment is relatively minor.

Tom

Legacy Posted By Username: sequoya