Kaseya Community

remove wallpaper

• Guyz,

Any idea how to remove all the wallpaper on workstationsusing scripts?

Legacy Forum Name: remove wallpaper,
    Legacy Posted By Username: tesvin
  • Script Name: Remove Wallpaper
    Script Description: This script will remove the default wallpaper that appears on the login screen of a server. This should speed up load time when loading a remote session

IF True
    THEN
    Set Registry Value
    Parameter 1 : HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop\Wallpaper
    Parameter 2 : (None)
    Parameter 3 : REG_SZ
    OS Type : 0
    ELSE

The above script is what we use for Dell Servers because they come with a pretty heavy login screen image that slows down connectivity. However, the registry key is the same for workstations and servers.

There are a few ways to remove the wallpaper for every user with a script.

1.) You can use the above key (except HKCU) and run the script as the user. That would mean you run the script every 15 minutes or so in case another user logs in.
    2.) You can use a logon event to trigger the script to run (again changing the key to HKCU) so that when a user logs on it will change the wallpaper.
    3.) You can create a wrapper script that will loop through the HKEY_USERS hive and set everyone's wallpaper to empty.

Keep in mind that in each of the above methods, the user has the ability to set a wallpaper again so based on your needs you would need to determine how often you really want to remove their wallpaper.

Legacy Forum Name: Scripts Forum,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Intech-Jason
  • Jason,

Thks for the script but it's seems like not working for me...... Is it need to change just 1 registry value then the wallpaper will be removed? Manually tried in regedit also it's not working.........

• tesvin
    Jason,

Thks for the script but it's seems like not working for me...... Is it need to change just 1 registry value then the wallpaper will be removed? Manually tried in regedit also it's not working.........

Try deleting that registry value. That's how we do it.

Legacy Posted By Username: RCS-Michael
  • Erm... ya i tried and it's working. wallpaper removed. I am using delete registry value command is it? But.... it's only 1 time remove only. If user reset the wallpaper, then run the script, it's not working also.

Michael,

can you give me how you create a script to remove wallpaper?

• tesvin
    Erm... ya i tried and it's working. wallpaper removed. I am using delete registry value command is it? But.... it's only 1 time remove only. If user reset the wallpaper, then run the script, it's not working also.

Michael,

can you give me how you create a script to remove wallpaper?

We just delete registry value. Can you rephrase what you were saying in this post? I couldn't follow you.

• Michael,

I am just using this script. And it's working. But It's not change on the spot. Need to logoff or reboot the machine. Is it possible to remove the wallpaper on the spot? I am using Delete Registry Value also same. It's not remove on the spot....

Script Name: remove wallpaper
    Script Description: This script will remove wallpaper

IF True
    THEN
    Set Registry Value
    Parameter 1 : HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\Wallpaper
    OS Type : 8
    ELSE

• tesvin
    Michael,

I am just using this script. And it's working. But It's not change on the spot. Need to logoff or reboot the machine. Is it possible to remove the wallpaper on the spot? I am using Delete Registry Value also same. It's not remove on the spot....

IF True
    THEN
    Set Registry Value
    ELSE

Add this command to your script. It will reload the HKCU hive without requiring a logoff or reboot.

rundll32.exe user32.dll,UpdatePerUserSystemParameters

Legacy Posted By Username: pcmnetmanage
  • Hi Greg,

I ran the script below and I managed to changed the wallpaper once but need to refresh my screen first. Then i restarted the machine and added a wallpaper. I ran the script again but seems like nothing happen. My script i just execute rundll32.exe only. How to update the user32.dll? Can you give your script how it looks like? My scripts is :
    My client have many labs and they having problem for this. Student always change a wallpaper. That's why i need the script to remove the wallpaper or restrict them to add the wallpaper.

IF True
    THEN
    Set Registry Value - (Continue on Fail)
    Execute File
    Parameter 1 : c:\windows\system32\rundll32.exe
    Parameter 2 :
    Parameter 3 : 0
    ELSE

• tesvin
    Hi Greg,

I ran the script below and I managed to changed the wallpaper once but need to refresh my screen first. Then i restarted the machine and added a wallpaper. I ran the script again but seems like nothing happen. My script i just execute rundll32.exe only. How to update the user32.dll? Can you give your script how it looks like? My scripts is :
    My client have many labs and they having problem for this. Student always change a wallpaper. That's why i need the script to remove the wallpaper or restrict them to add the wallpaper.

IF True
    THEN
    Set Registry Value - (Continue on Fail)
    Execute File
    Parameter 1 : c:\windows\system32\rundll32.exe
    Parameter 2 :
    Parameter 3 : 0
    ELSE

Under Execute File, this should be the data for Parameter 2:

user32.dll,UpdatePerUserSystemParameters

Very cool command - thanks!

• Hahahahaha.... Greg, Michael.... My man...

It's working fine..... Thanks to Jason also. Cool command yes i agreed!!!
    This is might not superb script but for me it's simple and powerful. Thanks.