Kaseya Community

Script for Windows Xp Update scan

• Good After Noon All
    Just wanting some help with this been working on it for a while and not getting any where, what i am wanting to do is to

1. Install the agent (ok)
    2. Fourse a check in (ok)
    3. Run a Scan on the new computer for windows update
    4. Download and run the updates
    5. Leave a message on the screen to say i am finshed (ok)

The ok is that i have wroking any help would be good thanks

Legacy Forum Name: Script for Windows Xp Update scan,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Jason-BCS
  • This is what Patch Management does.

Legacy Forum Name: Scripts Forum,
    Legacy Posted By Username: kaseya
  • Thnk you for you response, this isthe way i am already doing it but what i want to do is installthe agent and let it do it all without anyone having to go in to the website and do it

• What i would like it for is so my techs can just click a link and run it so i dont have to give them access

• Sounds like what you want is for a new agent install to automatically run Initial Update (which will patch the machine fully, automatically rebooting, according to the patch policy you have applied). I don't know if there is a way to automatically call the Initial Update process from a Script, but a suggestion would be to create a new user in Kaseya and restrict that user to only Initial Update for new machines. (You can create a view to show machines that have first checked in just recently.)

Legacy Posted By Username: CCDave
  • In theory could you not create a template and schedule the template for initial update, and then use that template as the download for the K Agent - that way the initial update would run immediately ... This is "IN THEORY" as I have not tried it personally ...

Legacy Posted By Username: TBK Consulting
  • This is correct this is the thing that i need, any ideas

• Using the Initial Update feature right after deploying an agent can be quite dangerous in my opinion. Say your tech deploys an agent in the middle of the day, if Initial Update is scheduled to run automatically (and directly after agent install) your clients machines will start rebooting by themselves until all updates are done.

You are better off either running Windows Update (manually from the website) BEFORE you install the agent.

-OR-

Creating a template that sticks all machines in the same "Machine Collection", and use Patch Policy + Automatic Update in Kaseya to apply updates during off-time (when you client is home or on the weekend).

However, putting all machines in the same collection could lead to disastrous results if you are not properly testing and approving patches.

Ideally, if you have your own techs, you should create some kind of limited access for them to the Kaseya console. It will only make your life easier once they get the hang of it.

What we do is:
    1. Deploy and Install agents
    2. Let the agents do thier thing and run the scripts that we have set
    3. Workstation agents are in two machine policies "Workstations - Approve ALL" and "Workstations - DENY". (Workstations - Approve All is set to auto-approve & Workstations - Deny is set to Pending Approval)
    4. Auto-Update in Kaseya is set for Friday Nights

What this results in is all machines do thier scans as needed, any patches that have been tested are approved, (or denied where needed) and the machines all update themselves Friday nights. No "Initial Update" needed. While it may take a few days by Monday of the following week all machines are properly updated with no client interruptions.

Legacy Posted By Username: CeruleanBlue
  • Thanks mate, it almost sounds like what i want, down time wont be a issue for these computers as they are computer that have come in for repair or system that are about to go out to clients, so what i need them to go is install the agent and auto run the windows update i have looked for the Patch Policy but i mus keep on missing it can you point me to this, or if there is a way i can just put a script up for my techs to press once the agent is installed to do all the updats and then do a scan that woudl be good

• Setup an Agent Template and set it to run a patch scan using Run Now. Create an agent package for the group using this template.
    • When the agent installs amongst other things it will run a patch scan.
    • You can schedule an initial update against the machine and it will bring that machine up to current patch levels.
    I agree with the opinion that blindly setting a initial update is going to lead to grief eventually when someone uses the agent package accidentally to install Kaseya on a live customer machine and it goes and installs patches and performs multiple reboots unexpectedly. Not a good way to keep the client happy.

Legacy Posted By Username: smbtechnology
  • smbtechnology
    [LIST]
    I agree with the opinion that blindly setting a initial update is going to lead to grief eventually when someone uses the agent package accidentally to install Kaseya on a live customer machine and it goes and installs patches and performs multiple reboots unexpectedly. Not a good way to keep the client happy.

I disagree with this statement. You could say that about almost any function of Kaseya. Guns don't reboot computers, people reboot computers. ;-)

We clearly label a group as Initial Update (except that we can't get IU to auto-run from a template) and clearly label an install for the Initial Update group/template.

Legacy Posted By Username: rwitt
  • Thanks mate, could you please point me to the location where i can make the templates

• Sorry I didn't see this message sooner...
    A template is just an agent that should never check in. You can create a group, called "Template" for instance, and then manually create an agent and setup scripts, monitors, etc. Then you create an agent package that copies the template agent settings so that when you deploy the package it gets your "template" settings.

There is a KB article or some training somewhere that has more info on this.

Legacy Posted By Username: rwitt