Kaseya Community

Agent to deploy software update that requires user input

• I need to deploy an update to a software package from a third party vendor, but their install requires several user input steps.  Need to accept the EULA, select English as my language, etc.  Can I do that with an agent procedure?  I tried to run KInstID.exe to identify the type of installation file they supply, but it doesn't show it as anything recognizable.  I tried the "Creating Silent Installs" step in the Agent Procedures doc to see if I could record an .iss file, but no joy there.  Can I do something else to pass the "user input" responses to this install?

• If the third party vendor will not provide a mechanism for silently installing the software (a very poor decision on their part) you will need to leverage either AutoHotkey (http://www.autohotkey.com/) or AutoIT Scripting (http://www.autoitscript.com/) for this and then leverage the compiled EXEs you build with either tools within the agent procedure when you are ready to automate the UI interaction.

You can also try to leverage the Kaseya packager found under Agent Procedures in K2 or Scripts in G1 or Kaseya 2008, though I only use it as a last resort as you're completely bypassing the vendor's supported mechanism for installation.

• If it is a single executable installer file (single setup file) try to use WinRAR or 7Zip to extract the content. If the you can't extract the contents or you have several setup files (executable + data files), try run the executable in a command shell window with a /?, /h or /help switch and see if you get help information from the installer.

If you do and it provides silent installation switches then you can install the application silently in which case I would look at an existing installed example and look for the applications registry settings. Some times you can do a silent install and then you can do the configuration after the fact, some times you need to provide some configuration settings during install however if they already exist in the registry the setup will continue without asking your input.

Something else to look at is try and copy the program folder from an existing install to another computer and try and run it, you may have to export the registry settings and copy/register a few DLL's which means you can repackage the application into an SFX and make your own setup file. You will be surprised how many applications can be run without being installed, you may even be able to turn it into a portable app.

http://portableapps.com/

Worst case scenario you will have to do as Ben mentioned and use a Macro tool like AutoIT.

• If you know what kind of installer it is, look here first: unattended.sourceforge.net/installers.php

I have made AutoIT work in the past, but I had to incorporate autologon for admin credentials and I had to temporarily disable the screensaver...

• AutoIT did the trick for this one.  Thanks a bunch!

• It's great to hear it worked out well for you!

You should export what you created and share it if you can :)