Kaseya Community

Remote Backup Monitoring

• Is there anywhere I can find scripts prebuilt to monitor backup success and failures at client sites for Veritas & Arcserve software ?

Thanks

shickey

Legacy Forum Name: Remote Backup Monitoring,
    Legacy Posted By Username: shickey
  • The usual method to monitor backups is to use the Alerts in Kaseya, rather than a script. Both of these backup programs will store information in the Event Log. Just take a look through an exsisting event log on the machines with the software installed and make a note of the Event Log ID's relating to the information you are interested in. Once you have noted these, go into the Alerts section and create a new Event Set that finds and responds to those Event ID's.

Legacy Forum Name: Script Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: raybarber
  • Thanks

• Backup Exec is using the application log but Arcserve does not. the only entry for CA in the server I am trying to monitor is about licensing. Arcserve is creating text files in the logs folder for each backup job. I have asked the on site tech to set up Arcserve to email us with the status of the job. i will update as we get this working.

Legacy Posted By Username: TomRiggs
  • Thanks.

I have constantly received comment from break/fix customers on reasons why they did not change tapes for their backups. It is usually a restore problem that sends chills up their spines when they discover their backups have not been working, especially the person responsible for changing tapes nightly.

I has customers using Arcserve, Backup Exec (now called Symantec Availability) and Backup Express. All are looking for monitoring the daily backups remotely.

Hope Kaseya will provide the solution.

• While Kaseya make every effort to help our customers to get the best out of the product, we do not make any promises about how the monitoring or scripting may be implemented to acheive a particular end. Kaseya makes no claims in its marketing to monitor backups.

However I doknow of MSP's who are successfully using Kaseya to monitor backups on all of the afore mentioned software, so it is possible. I hope maybe they will choose to share the information so that others may benefit...

• I did some further investigation of the Arcserve monitoring and it seems that you can turn on event log notifications. I am experimenting with that now. I will update when I have more to share. Veritas backup Exec is placing events in the error log already and you can capture the interesting ones with the kaseya monitoring. Then you can create a report to search for the entries you are looking for in the alert log on the Kaseya server. Hope this gives you a start.

• Thanks Tom, this is great stuffm thanks for posting it.

Can you give any more clues as where to find the setting in Archserve to turn on the Events?

• I do not have Arcserve in front of me right now so bear with me.

Here is what I found:

First, in the Arcserve program on the left frame there is an Alert Icon, this will open the alert configuration tool. On the server I was working on there were 2 alert definitions (I'm calling them that not sure what Arcserve calls them), Default and ASBackup. What I did was to edit both by adding an item under Event log. When you right click a menu pops up with create new (again this is from memory may not be exact message) then you browse the windows network and pick the server you want to receive the alerts. In my case I picked the computer that is running the backup. I did this for both the Default and the ASBackup since I was not sure which would apply.

Second, you must add the alerts you want to see in the properties of the backup job, open the job for editing/modification. In the Job editing window there is an Icon near the center top of the frame that is job options. There is an Alerts tab as I recall and you must add the events you want to be notified on there, by default there are no notification events. I added each type of event that was available and left the notification type as default.

Resubmit the job to save the changes.

The result so far is that the windows event log receivedthis event:

12:13:18 am 1-Oct-05
    Alert Notification Server
    None
    N/A

NOTE : [***** Computer Associates ALERT Event Log File *****] [Application:BrightStor AB] [Priority] [Action:Broadcast,AlphaNumerical Pager,EMail,Trouble Ticket,Event Log,SNMP,Notes,Unicenter TNG,SMTP,eTrust Audit] [Message:FG3K4: [JobID:27 Exchange and FG3K 9-26 to 9-30] Backup Operation Incomplete. Number of Error(s)/Warning(s): 1/0] [From]

• I will be setting up both an Arcserve and Backup Exec monitoring probably this week. I will hopefully post up what I ended up doing to get the alert to show me when a backup fails (the most common questions ask me about monitoring and the most common problem I see at alot of sites {users forget to put in the tape).

• Do you have had a succes in setting up the monitoring of veritas and arcserv ?

I am very interested in the scipts.

Richard Daemen (richard@daemen-ict.nl)

Daemen ICT

Holland

Kaseya MSP

Legacy Posted By Username: daemenict
  • Same here....if you had any luck and don't mind sharing the scripts please let us know.

Legacy Posted By Username: mierwins
  • Just 2 cents, we use VSA alerting for our backup checking and it works great.

We are actually in the testing phases of a script that will runs daily on Backup Exec 8.6-10.1 that checks for a tape and if one isn't found by 3PM we'll get an alert.

When working and done I'll post it here.

Legacy Posted By Username: bryant
  • And is there new information available yet?

Legacy Posted By Username: itsimpel
  • itsimpel wrote:
    And is there new information available yet?

1. You need to go into AS or BE and configure the alerts to post to the event logs on the server.

2.Check out your event logs to see what event IDs are being posted for the errors.

3. Update your alert section in the VSA.

REFERENCE:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/246594.htm

You won't want to use all the alerts listed in the above, but you can select what alerts you want.