Kaseya Community

Agent Variables tied to Group ID

This question is answered

Can anyone give me a primer location or a quick guide location of how I can setup agent procedures that use managed variables based on group ID?

My end goal is to setup a post reboot procedure that unlocks a bitlockered drive, but I don't want to make one for each group ID, I want to make one procedure that calls the group ID and then pulls the managed variable for that group.

So, I'm pretty sure I have the managed variable portion down, I'm just not sure how to call to it based on group ID.

Thanks

Verified Answer
  • I'm not sure I understand the problem, as that is exactly how Managed Variables work. You set the value of a MV for each groupID, and then just call it using <managedvariable> instead of #s.

So for example:

Create a managed variable named "unlockkey"

Populate it for each group

script: powershell.exe -bitlockerkey <unlockkey>

Overview of Managed Variables: help.kaseya.com/.../index.htm

• You don't call it per ID, you SET it per ID. Then, based on the machine group the agent is in, you get that value in that variable when you reference it. Like magic!

• And in an abundance of clarity... once you "set it" as Glenn suggests, you can then "call it" as Stephen suggests, using <varName> instead of #varName#, which will populate the stored value in its place.

Kirk...

• The built in var for this is #vMachine.groupName# or #vAgentConfiguration.groupName#

You should be able to use these vars without first having to declare them in the procudure. (they just work)

Basically, anything listed in "Database Views" (in help) can be used as a var without first declaring.

see: help.kaseya.com/.../index.asp

i.e.#vMachine.ProductName# and so on..

All Replies
  • I'm not sure I understand the problem, as that is exactly how Managed Variables work. You set the value of a MV for each groupID, and then just call it using <managedvariable> instead of #s.

So for example:

Create a managed variable named "unlockkey"

Populate it for each group

script: powershell.exe -bitlockerkey <unlockkey>

Overview of Managed Variables: help.kaseya.com/.../index.htm

• You don't call it per ID, you SET it per ID. Then, based on the machine group the agent is in, you get that value in that variable when you reference it. Like magic!

• And in an abundance of clarity... once you "set it" as Glenn suggests, you can then "call it" as Stephen suggests, using <varName> instead of #varName#, which will populate the stored value in its place.

Kirk...

• The built in var for this is #vMachine.groupName# or #vAgentConfiguration.groupName#

You should be able to use these vars without first having to declare them in the procudure. (they just work)

Basically, anything listed in "Database Views" (in help) can be used as a var without first declaring.

see: help.kaseya.com/.../index.asp

i.e.#vMachine.ProductName# and so on..

• So, I had read up on the steps without actually doing them, not realizing that if I just started populating the variable, I'd have my answer.

Thanks everyone.