Kaseya Community

Utility to free RAM on a machine

• Here is a little utility I use to free RAM from machines.

http://www.jfitz.com/software/RAMpage/index.html

It can be scripted and does not need to be installed to work. It is fully CLI compatible and able to be simple scripted. I run this based upon an alert from the monitor tab of low memory on a machine. Works like a champ to "self heal" low memory issues on machines.

God Bless,

Marty

Legacy Forum Name: Utility to free RAM on a machine,
    Legacy Posted By Username: MissingLink
  • Hi Marty,

Does this utility actually do anything useful, or does it just allocate a large chunk of memory, forcing programs to swap out to the page file? Sorry to be pessemistic, but I"ve seen a lot of these that just cause regular slowdowns in performance while they force the swap to page, then give you a "good" chunk of free memory.

I'm a little sceptical because even the author states

"In theory, RAMpage shouldn't make any difference on Windows NT, 2000 or XP, though I have had some reports that suggest it helps."

Anthony.

Legacy Forum Name: System Administration Scripts,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Anthony Michaud
  • Sorry double post.

Legacy Posted By Username: Anthony Michaud
  • You are correct in that they dont really help that much. The only thing I use it for (hence why its an alert) is to help ease the pains of a memory leak or badly written programs that never release memory. I set my alert to run at a very low avail memory setting (below 128meg on a server).

In my alert script I only try to free 128meg of RAM. This way I can be alerted of a potential memory issue on server but possibly be able to help the server limp along until I can get logged in to see what is happening.

This is something the offer mentions this program is good for:

"RAMpage monitors and frees memory. That's it. End of story. A buggy application that eats graphic resources will still be a buggy application that eats graphics resources after you've loaded RAMpage. There are claims that some applications seem less prone to crashing if available physical memory doesn't drop too low. If this is the case, running RAMpage with a low threshold, (or running it from a batch file from time to time), might help keep a system up and running.

RAMpage can help a lot if you're trying to identify a memory-hogging application, or if you're working to improve your system's settings and want to keep an eye on free memory as you go."

So thats how I use it. Though be careful running it on SQL and Exchange servers since they like to hog memory.

God Bless,

Marty

• I had a look at the source code and I'm pretty sceptical as to whether this would make any difference on the NT based operating systems.

All it seems to do is allocate a chunk of memory (which might force other apps to swap) and then releases it - at which point the OS will presumably page them back in (given it didn't have them swapped out in the first place).

gordon

Legacy Posted By Username: gordonc
  • Aye, I agree with you Gordon.

Thats why I only use it in an alert script to notify me of a potential low memory problem.

God Bless,

Marty

• Aye, I agree with you Gordon.

Thats why I only use it in an alert script to notify me of a potential low memory problem. I use it to try and free some memory until I can look at the issue.

God Bless,

Marty