Kaseya Community

Remote Desktop

• Try to follow me here. I'm starting to get frustrated since my tech can not figure this out and I have clients yelling at me now.

Problem: Certain users are allowed directly back to their own desktops via Remote Desktop. A few weeks/months ago it appears a certain MS update started automatically turning the Windows firewall back on. We have a group policy that disables the Windows firewall, and a local policy scheduled on each machine on the domain to do a group policy update. I seems to turn the firewall off for a few days, but then it is back on. Now, the policy doesn't even appear to be working. Clients don't want to pay if they can't get the service. I don't blame them

Anyone else having this problem?

TIA,
    Shane

Legacy Forum Name: Remote Desktop,
    Legacy Posted By Username: rditech
  • Is there any particular reason that you don't want to give them remote access back to their desktop via Kaseya?

If they have the agent on their desktops, they should be able to remote back to it through Agent->User Access. Of course, you have to give them user names and passwords, but at least you know that Windows firewall shouldn't affect it (that is, if you remote control into their desktops via Kaseya/WinVNC to begin with).

If not, and you have to use Remote Desktop, then it sounds like the group policy is "broken". Have you tried to create a new one to test?

Also, prior to that update, was Remote Desktop working smoothly for an extended period of time?

Legacy Forum Name: System Administration Scripts,
    Legacy Posted By Username: vplaza
  • We don't want to give them username/passwords via Kaseya. The problem is at other clients too.

RDP was working great prior to this for years. It seems these recent MS updates started doing some weird stuff. I have even seen my home PC ask me to "keep blocking" or "unblock" program access. That is screwed up. So now Windows is blocking outbound unless allowed.

I'm wondering if others are using scripts to update GP.

Thanks,
    Shane

• Group Policy is just registry entries, so anything that is part of group policy could be updated via a script.

Legacy Posted By Username: raybarber
  • I found a registry key that was buried and should have been handled by GP, but wasn't. So the problem is fixed. Thanks!