Kaseya Community

Exchange Retention Period

• I need to adjust the "Keep Deleted Items for" setting on the private information store across a large number of exchange servers. Does anyone know if this is possible through the registry or command line? Thanks in advance

Legacy Forum Name: Exchange Retention Period,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Mark.Knapp
  • exchangescript.txt
    Since this type of Exchange information is actually stored in Active Directory you can make such changes through a vbscript using ADSI. (See attached script)

Change the extension to .vbs and make changes as noted below before running.

NOTE:

1.You will need to substitute the strings in the LDAP path above with theLDAP path componentsthat pertain to your environment. For example in my case would replace "" with "first administrative group"

2. the "garbageCollPeriod" is the attributeaffecting the "Keep deleted items for..." option. The accepted value is in seconds so above 432000 = 5 days.

Also note the presence of another attribute, "msExchMailboxRetentionPeriod" which affects "Keep deleted mailboxes for..." option. Also in seconds.

3. Always run new scripts in a test environment first. This is especially true when tinkering with AD.

Hope this helps,

-Ed

Legacy Forum Name: System Administration Scripts,
    Legacy Posted By Username: bellcpa
  • I will give that a try. I will just need to figure out a way to pull that data from various server and then populate accordingly as all those servers are not in same domain. I appreciate the help

• I will give that a try. I will just need to figure out a way to pull that data from various server and then populate accordingly as all those servers are not in same domain. I appreciate the help