Kaseya Community

Block Internet Traffic

• We have a client that only wants to allow internet usage for specific employees between 11:30AM and 12:30PM. Is is possible to script something or is there is a feature that I can do this with?

Matthew

Legacy Forum Name: Block Internet Traffic,
    Legacy Posted By Username: mnikravesh
  • Scripting-wise I'm not to sure if there is a way, still learning much of the process myself. However depending on your Windows version (O/S) you may be able to setup a security policy for this task. Definately sounds like something you should be able to achieve with some research.

Legacy Forum Name: System Administration Scripts,
    Legacy Posted By Username: T D Homa
  • I can't think of a straightforward way to do this in Kaseya, but most firewalls should support a way of doing this.

Put the people on fixed ips and set rules to deny access to the internet from time a to time b.

That assumes that people won't be moving PCs.

Legacy Posted By Username: qrysdonnell
  • GEt a Watchguard Firebox

Legacy Posted By Username: TCarrier
  • What your describing are Group Policy IPSec Filters. Using IPSec Filters, you can block or allow whatever traffic you specify. In your scenario, you would have to schedule a script to run at your designated times - one to turn it on, one to turn it off, but it is completely possible to do.

Check out this site - http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1559. This is probably the best site i've seen to date for walking you through IPSec policies and even has a batch file example which you can customize andput into a scheduled Kaseya script.

Keep in mind though that there is NOTHING native out there at the moment that will block PER USER. You can only block per machine or per IP address using built-in Windows tools. To block per user, you are no longer talking policy, you are talking content filtering or proxying. So you would need something like ISA Server or Websense to do a per user scenario. However if you want an all or nothing port-based solution, IPSec is the way to go.

Legacy Posted By Username: elehman
  • What your describing are Group Policy IPSec Filters. Using IPSec Filters, you can block or allow whatever traffic you specify. In your scenario, you would have to schedule a script to run at your designated times - one to turn it on, one to turn it off, but it is completely possible to do.

Check out this site - http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1559. This is probably the best site i've seen to date for walking you through IPSec policies and even has a batch file example which you can customize andput into a scheduled Kaseya script.

Keep in mind though that there is NOTHING native out there at the moment that will block PER USER. You can only block per machine or per IP address using built-in Windows tools. To block per user, you are no longer talking policy, you are talking content filtering or proxying. So you would need something like ISA Server or Websense to do a per user scenario. However if you want an all or nothing port-based solution, IPSec is the way to go.

Legacy Posted By Username: elehman