Kaseya Community

Disable Windows Update

• Hello,

I am trying to configure a script to not allow windows (auto)update to run. This would involve not being able to run it from the webiste either.

I read the previous post:
    Script Name: Windows Update Disable
    Script Description: Disables that Windows Auto Update feature

IF True
    THEN
    Set Registry Value
    Parameter 1 : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet\Services\wuauserv\start
    Parameter 2 : 4
    Parameter 3 : REG_DWORD
    OS Type : 0
    ELSE

I ran that script as well as the script that was provided with our version of kaseya. Both scripts seem to take no effect.

While i was reading on Microsoft.com about disabling it, I found this site:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328010

With This Registry Information on it:
    To use Registry Editor, follow these steps: 		  1.Click Start, click Run, and then type regedit in the Open box.2.Locate and then click the following key in the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU3.Add any one of the following settings: 				•Value name: NoAutoUpdate
    Value data: 0 or 1 •0: Automatic Updates is enabled (default).•1: Automatic Updates is disabled. Registry Value Type: Reg_DWORD•Value name: AUOptions
    Value data: 1 to 4 •1: Keep my computer up to date has been disabled in Automatic Updates.•2: Notify of download and installation.• 3: Automatically download and notify of installation. •4: Automatically download and scheduled installation. Registry Value Type: Reg_DWORD•Value name: ScheduledInstallDay
    Value data: 0 to 7 •0: Every day.•1 through 7: The days of the week from Sunday (1) to Saturday (7). Registry Value Type: Reg_DWORD•Value name: ScheduledInstallTime
    Value data: n, where n equals the time of day in a 24-hour format (0-23).
    Registry Value Type: Reg_DWORD•Value name: UseWUServer
    Value data: Set this value to 1 to configure Automatic Updates to use a server that is running Software Update Services instead of Windows Update.
    Registry Value Type: Reg_DWORD•Value name: RescheduleWaitTime
    Value data: m, where m equals the time to wait between the time Automatic Updates starts and the time it begins installations where the scheduled times have passed. The time is set in minutes from 1 to 60, representing 1 minute to 60 minutes)
    Registry Value Type: Reg_DWORD

Note This setting only affects client behavior after the clients have updated to the SUS SP1 client version or later.•Value name: NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers
    Value data: Reg_DWORD: 0 (false) or 1 (true). If set to 1, Automatic Updates does not automatically restart a computer while users are logged on.
    Registry Value Type: Reg_DWORD

Note This setting affects client behavior after the clients have updated to the SUS SP1 client version or later. To use Automatic Updates with a server that is running Software Update Services, see the Software Update Services Deployment white paper. To view this white paper, visit the following Microsoft Web site: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/sus/susdeployment.mspx

so my question is now two fold:

1. Is the first script modifying the correct values?

2. Does the user have to be a standard user ( not a power user or local admin) on the clients machine for this to take effect?

Thanks,

Rod Bibeau
    Network Administrator
    rod@cwtechgroup.com

Legacy Forum Name: Disable Windows Update,
    Legacy Posted By Username: rodbibeau
  • MS has changed this value a few times, the new version of Kaseya Agent has the setting to turn it off. I would asume your findings to be correct.

Legacy Forum Name: System Administration Scripts,
    Legacy Posted By Username: sourceminer
  • I've got several customers for whom I want to turn off auto-updates, but still leave it in the users control to turn it on via the Automatic Updates applet in the control panel. Kaseya 4.6 has the ability to disable Windows Updates totally, but this greys out all the options in the applet.

The following script will do this:

Script Name: Disable Windows Update (User Control)
    Script Description: This option modifies [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update]and sets the "AUOptions"=dword:00000001 which turns off Windows Update, but leaves it in user control to change back via a control panel applet

IF True
    THEN
    Set Registry Value
    Parameter 1 : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update\AUOptions
    Parameter 2 : 00000001
    Parameter 3 : REG_DWORD
    OS Type : 1
    ELSE

Legacy Forum Name: System Administration Scripts,
    Legacy Posted By Username: dbennett