Kaseya Community

AVG 7 Free Silent Install Script

• AVG_7_Free_Silent_Install.txt
    This script will allow the silent install of AVG 7 Free Edition. You must have already downloaded the file and have uploaded it to your kaseya server.
    You may need to change the filename in the script to match the filename that you have downloaded.

Legacy Forum Name: AVG 7 Free Silent Install Script,
    Legacy Posted By Username: jnuttall
  • I first read your script and did'nt understand at first but after checking it out I understand it more, But I still have some questions . Here goes:

IF True
    THEN
    Write File
    Parameter 1 : c:tempavg70free_289a392.exe
    Parameter 2 : VSASharedFiles.avg70free_289a392.exe
    OS Type : 0

when you say write file what does that do? copy the file ?

Thanks

sean goss

858-483-8770

sean@crowncomputers.com

Legacy Forum Name: Anti-Virus Scripts,
    Legacy Posted By Username: seangoss
  • The Write File command takes a file stored on the Kaseya server an 'writes' it to the name and location specifiedin the script. This allows a file stored on the Kaseya server to be renamed on the fly as it is copied to a local machine.

For more information see the help files in Kaseya by going to the Installs page in Kaseya and pressing the button.

Or going to:

http:///help/WebHelp/scripts/if_then_else_definitions.htm

Legacy Posted By Username: raybarber
  • Check ou this post fro AVG 7 Silent Install.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?act=ST&f=80&t=10705

Maybe some with more coding experience can tell if the DONT_START_APPS and NO_WELCOME are switches that kaseya can use.I will test to see if they will keep the control center from showing after install.

Legacy Posted By Username: rx7kevin
  • AVG7Free_Install.txt
    I tested this new silent install with these switches:

/HIDE /DONT_START_APPS /NO_WELCOME

It installed with NO user interaction. The only thing that changes is a desktop icon and the task tray icon. Sweet!

I did do this as an uninstall then install. I will have to test it on a fresh Windows PC.

• In the update area you can set avg to get updates from a folder instead of online. How do you set that option as the defaultvia comand line or script? It can probably be accomplished through a reg hack.

My idea is to have the Kserver handle the updates by running a script to copy the new update files to the agents. Then you need totrigger the update process in AVG.You could simply stop and start the program, but I bet there is a command to start the update.

The newest update can be pulled from one or two PCs with Inet update turned on. Then just get file if the bin number is higher.

Let me know what you think.

• ok so this installs the program how do you control it?

If we can get this figured out I am sure we can get a completly managed solution in place here.

- Install
    - Run / Scan ( Any options to run/scan silent?)
    - Report Infections / Scans run (Where is this located?)
    - Maintain defs ( I am sure I can do this (per my last Stinger Post))

Legacy Posted By Username: sourceminer
  • AVG Free Scan.txt
    Okay everyone... take this with a grain of salt... I'm not a tech guy and I'm using this thing as a way to teach myself how to write scripts.

I've created a script to run the AVG Command Line Scanner. It is not 100% silent since it shows a command session on the taskbar (that the user can't restore the window so they aren't seeing the process itself). The switches automatically clean any files found on C:.

AVG as far as I can tell is not reporting to the Event Logs, so I'm reporting to a text file and using Get File to upload to the server as well as report to the Script Log. I don't know if AVG will report infections to the Event Logs or not... does anyone else know? It would be easier to monitor AVG through the event logs than trying to parse out their proprietary logs (which they do have).

Definitions can be updated using their avginet.exe but that just runs the GUI updater utility and I can't figure out how to make it silent.

So to answer Kevin:
    - Install: Earlier in this thread...
    - Run/Scan: This post...
    - Report Infections/Scans run: will report scans run with this script but not sure about infections since I've only tested on clean machines.
    - Maintain Defs: Not optimal, but can use avginet.exe or read rx7kevin's idea and try to elaborate and/or test the idea.

Legacy Posted By Username: japaquette
  • So it sounds like we need to get a Log Parser working here.
    Maybe using MS LogParser to import to the event logs, and make our own events.
    Or we read from the logs and report when a failure occurs and send an email.

Legacy Posted By Username: sourceminer
  • I'm not trying to troll here, but have you read the license statement for using AVG Free? I researched using AVG Free at one time but with their license there was no way I could have use it with Kaseya legally.

Here is an expert from AVG's site:

--

AVG Free Edition is for private, non-commercial, single-home computer use only. Use of AVG Free Edition within any organization or for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited. Your use of AVG Free Edition shall be in accordance with and is subject to the terms and conditions set forth in the AVG Free Edition License Agreement, which accompanies AVG Free Edition.

--

*This post is for advice only and not to be legal advice, so if you are in doubt about the legality of using the AVG Free product in your business I would contact Grisoft or a lawyer.

Legacy Posted By Username: chris_toppan
  • Just a heads up about the licensing... I am using AVG Free on my own personal computer. This is not a Kaseya owned machine. You do raise the issue that should have gone without saying that AVG Free would not be used in a commercial environment.

• You are correct. AVG Free would not be used in a commercial environment. These scripts should cross over to the professional edition. I am using AVG Free on my personal computer and don't have access to the professional edition.