Kaseya Community

Uninstalling a software via agent procedure

This question is answered

Hi guys,

I have created a batch file and an xml file for un-installation for visio 2010:

Batch file:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE14\Office Setup Controller\setup.exe" /uninstall visior /config uninstall.xml

XML File:

<Configuration Product="Visio">

<Display Level="None" CompletionNotice="No" SuppressModal="Yes" AcceptEula="Yes" />

<Setting Id="SETUP_REBOOT" Value="Never" />

</Configuration>

And then i created a procedure to write these two files in the same directory of the visio setup.exe which is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE14\Office Setup Controller

I then tried both execute file or execute command.

For execute file, i point it to the batch file path and run it as system

For execute command i ran:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE14\Office Setup Controller\setup.exe (I tried with or without quote)

Arguement: /uninstall visior /config "Location path goes here" uninstall.xml

But sadly it just keep showing success in the agent procedure status but nothing happens on the machine

Also if i run the batch file directly from the computer as administrator, it works.

Can anyone advise me what i did wrong here?

Thanks

Verified Answer
  • Hi aaron - couple of things:

1. You misspelled "visio" in your batch file command and your execute command structures. Not sure if that was just a typo in your post.

2. You may need to run your batch file or command execution using "impersonation" as an administrator instead of as "system". The System account may not have the privileges needed to complete your command.

All Replies
  • Hi aaron - couple of things:

1. You misspelled "visio" in your batch file command and your execute command structures. Not sure if that was just a typo in your post.

2. You may need to run your batch file or command execution using "impersonation" as an administrator instead of as "system". The System account may not have the privileges needed to complete your command.

• Hi Zippo,

Thanks for the reply, i am sure i did all the spelling correctly in the batch and in the command, because i executed the batch file locally, it works, but when i do it via agent procedure it does not, i tried the impersonation as well, it does not work too, and i did add the credentials to the machine and execute via user, or use credentials, it just show success then...but in reality, the software is still there

• I'd try:

1. Change your XML to show the uninstallation process. Log on to the endpoint as the user being impersonated, run the Kaseya script and see if you can monitor the uninstallation process (assuming it does launch). If it does launch it may give you more insight into what's going wrong when you try silent uninstallation.

2. Review the log file generated by the setup.exe /uninstall process when invoked through the Kaseya script. By default it will write a log file to %temp% as detailed here under 'logging attributes' - technet.microsoft.com/.../cc179195.aspx - that may also help you determine where the process is falling down.

• Procedure 00-Office 2003-07-10-13 removal (not O365).xml

We do this a lot. VisioR is likely the Microsoft name of the product, which can be observed in the uninstall string in the add/remove programs section of Kaseya, to be sure.

I am attaching my fully functional agent procedures for the removal of Office products, it may help out someone here.

My office removal XML script for versions 2007 through 2013 (OfficeCTRUninst.xml):

<Configuration Product="ENTERPRISE,HOMESTUDENTR,PROHYBRIDR,PROPLUS,PROR,SINGLEIMAGE,SMALLBUSINESSR,STANDARD">
    <Display
    Level="none"
    CompleteNotice="no"
    SuppressModal="yes"
    AcceptEula="yes"
    />
    <Setting Id="SETUP_REBOOT" Value="Never" />
    </Configuration>

• Reviving an old topic.

Kristin,thank you for posting your procedure and XML. Hopefully you're still active.

I'm having problems getting your procedure working and I'm sure it's because our users do not have local admin rights.

I can get the file written to the machine, but nothing happens after that.

We have a local user account with admin rights that we use for the kaseya agents. This was setup in Agents > Manage Agents, and tested working.

I attempted to add useCredential in front of the executeFile lines but still get nothing.

I have zero coding experience and have been plugging away at this almost all day now and feel like I'm going nowhere.

Spelling errors.
    [edited by: sboehm at 7:14 AM (GMT -8) on Dec 6, 2018]
  • useCredential should not be necessary here.  The uninstallation strings are all using SYSTEM which means that unless your SYSTEM user doesn't have access to those folders, there should not be a problem.  It could, however, be an issue with an office installation - I would recommend reviewing event logs for windows installer entries.