Kaseya Community

Auto Logon in a server after restart

• I read quite few questions here about how to auto-login in a server after restart.

Read also few options on how to do it, but must involve either change the REGISTRY or using a 3th part software

on Kaseya, under Agent Procedures-->Schedule/Create-->System-->Core-->4 Other Tools and Utility Procedures-->AutoAdminLogon-->

There is "Enable AutoAdminLogon with cleat text method"

I try to use that, but have no clue how it works. Reading on the "View Procedure" seams that it should ask for username, password but when I run, it only ask for Username.

and nothing happens if I run it on schedule.

So my questions is: How to use the AutoAdminLogon procedure from Kaseya?

Thank you

EHM

• @emh01

Had a quick look at that Autologon agent procedure and can confirm that line 3 has the wrong getVariable type, it is using "Agent Working Path" instead of "Prompt When Procedure is Scheduled" for the password variable.

A quick fix would be to export it and re-import into another folder of your choosing and fix line 3 and then the script should work again. However if you want that one fixed you will need to log a ticket with Kaseya support.

As to your question how to use it, it is meant to be a configuration script you run it once against the machine that you want to auto logon at startup and it will prompt you for the user name and password.

If the computer you want to autologon at startup is a domain member you will need to supply the domain as part of the username (e.g.: Enter Username: [domain]\[username]).

• The HardKnoX solution works ate the point to accepting the username/password, but still not doing the logon.

the restart warm was just fine. the machine restart at the scheduled time, but then I'm doing a serie of combinations here to try to login on schedule, but it's not working.

It's a Windows Server 2008 with domain.

I first try using Enable AutoAdminLogon with AUTOLOGON

Try to giving domain\username end then password

try username, password and domain (separeted)

try admin username, try my own usernme, nothign happens

then I try using Enable AutoAdminLogon with Cleat Text Method

with same kind of combinations but no luck.

Any more help on that?

Thank you

• One more info:

this is the error I received by email;

xxxx.xxxx.machine.xx failed executing agent procedure "myProcedures - my@email.com.MyServers - Enable AutoAdminLogon with AUTOLOGON" on 2016-01-13 15:29:33Z

Script Summary: Failed THEN in step 5 (Line 5)

Check the machine's Agent Procedure log for additional details.

• Did you fix line 3 of the script?

• Yes. I fix per instructions and now it's asking for the password, but not working. It runs, but the server do not turn on.

• The only thing that I have found that can interfere with an autologon so far is the legal notice, you have to remove this from the target machine before it will work, here are the two four registry keys that you need to check for and remove if they exist;

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\LegalNoticeCaption

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\LegalNoticeText

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\system\legalnoticecaption

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\system\legalnoticetext

I haven't used the Autologon script provided by Kaseya myself and it could be that it might not be compatible with newer versions of of Windows, you could try and manually run the autologon.exe command on the server or a test machine and see if you can get it to work

typo
    [edited by: HardKnoX at 2:05 PM (GMT -8) on Jan 14, 2016]
  • I wrote this .bat up to push for exactly this reason... 

Things to watch out for. If you're pushing to a 64-bit version of Windows. Kaseya is 32-bit, and will default to Wow6432Node in the registry. This is where the /reg:64 switch comes into play. 

If you're pushing to 32-bit version of Windows, remove the /reg:64 switch. 

Also understand that your password for the machine is stored in plain text. We use this method on kiosk type machines with no access to the registry to even view. 

Happy Administrating!

@echo off

set UN=ThisIsYourUserName
    set PW=ThisIsYourPassword
    set DN=ThisIsYourDomainName

:: Write registry entries necessary for first time auto logon using store# as part of the UN and PW

:: -- UserName to Auto Login with
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /v DefaultUserName /t REG_SZ /d %UN% /f /reg:64

:: -- Password for the account you're Auto Logging in with
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /v DefaultPassword /t REG_SZ /d %PW% /f /reg:64

:: -- Domain the machine is joined to
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /v DefaultDomainName /t REG_SZ /d %DN% /f /reg:64

:: -- Setting Auto Logon (0=disabled, 1=enabled)
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /v AutoAdminLogon /t REG_SZ /d 1 /f /reg:64

:: -- Auto Logon Counter (Delete this to kill the counter, Always leaving it at 0)
    reg delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /v AutoLogonCount /f /reg:64

:: -- Do not check to see if the machine is configured for Auto Logon and if the Password is stored in Plaintext.
    reg delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /v AutoLogonChecked /f /reg:64

• HardKnoX, sorry for the silly question, but If I remove those Legal Notices, would I be running in some kind of other problems? I will save REGISTRY before, of course, but I'm wondering if there is another thing...

Also, where should I find this 'autologon.exe' on a Windows 7 machine? (to test it?) It's not there on the search. And yes, I'm a noobie...

• these registry keys are used to put a legal notice on your machines that warns unauthorized people that they are committing a crime by accessing this computer, similar to the "Beware of Dog" or Alarm company signs people have on their gates/fences.

The Legal notice registry keys are not configured by default however if they are configured can prevent autologon from working.

To get the executable is easy you can use the distribute file option under kaseya to push it out to any machine you want or you can download it from Microsoft; technet.microsoft.com/.../autologon.aspx

• Not sure about the procedure... But, this is what i wrote up for our kiosk type machines. Can be run as either a .bat or a .cmd. Verified working.

A few things about this script...

1. If you're pushing this script to a WIN 64bit machine, you must use the /reg:64 or you'll end up in the Wow6432Node side of the registry. I'm fairly sure Kaseya is a 32bit application, and therefore will not push 64bit registry. (This is my own observation)
    2. If you're pushing this to a WIN 32bit, remove the /reg:64.
    3. This script stores the password in plain text in the registry. So, unless you're running a kiosk type machine, expect the password to be at the very least, "veiwable".

Any questions, feel free to ask. =)

@echo off

set UN=ThisIsYourUserName
    set PW=ThisIsYourPassword
    set DN=ThisIsYourDomainName

:: Write registry entries necessary for first time auto logon

:: -- UserName to Auto Login with
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /v DefaultUserName /t REG_SZ /d %UN% /f /reg:64

:: -- Password for the account you're Auto Logging in with
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /v DefaultPassword /t REG_SZ /d %PW% /f /reg:64

:: -- Domain the machine is joined to
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /v DefaultDomainName /t REG_SZ /d %DN% /f /reg:64

:: -- Setting Auto Logon (0=disabled, 1=enabled)
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /v AutoAdminLogon /t REG_SZ /d 1 /f /reg:64

:: -- Auto Logon Counter
    reg delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /v AutoLogonCount /f /reg:64

:: -- Do not check to see if the machine is configured for Auto Logon and if the Password is stored in Plaintext.
    reg delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /v AutoLogonChecked /f /reg:64

Spell Check ✓
    [edited by: hoffman1984 at 5:30 AM (GMT -8) on Jan 15, 2016]