Kaseya Community

Using a procedure to silent install Office 2013 Retail from a network share

This question is answered

Has anyone got this working? I've got a procedure to install Office 2013 from a network share, however, I can't get this working with arguments, only without which then doesn't let me silently install. I've read that pointing to a config.xml file that you can configure to bypass the GUI and EULA but I can't ever get that to work. Anyone have any suggestions or different methods such as running a VBScript instead? Right now I am just executeFile method pointing to the network share with impersonated admin login credentials.

Verified Answer
  • Did you use the OCT to create the custom installer or did you only create the config.xml file?

Office 2013 OCT Download Link

www.microsoft.com/.../details.aspx

Not sure if this will work Retail but you can download (pick the right version for your Office) and extract it into the installation source. It should create an admin folder in your office install path and then use the "setup /admin" command from the install source  to start OCT.

The alternative would be to use something like AutoIT to create a automated installation script. It won't be hidden but it will automate the install.

www.autoitscript.com/.../autoit

All Replies
  • Configure a silent installation of Office 2013

technet.microsoft.com/.../dd630736.aspx

You will need to have a volume license copy if I recall correctly or it will not work.

• Yes I've read this, thought maybe someone had a workaround for a retail copy. I don't have the volume licensing edition, only the retail edition. Anything to make this install automated as opposed to manually installing this on every machine that needs an upgrade would be nice.

• Did you use the OCT to create the custom installer or did you only create the config.xml file?

Office 2013 OCT Download Link

www.microsoft.com/.../details.aspx

Not sure if this will work Retail but you can download (pick the right version for your Office) and extract it into the installation source. It should create an admin folder in your office install path and then use the "setup /admin" command from the install source  to start OCT.

The alternative would be to use something like AutoIT to create a automated installation script. It won't be hidden but it will automate the install.

www.autoitscript.com/.../autoit

• I am using the method that HardKnoX describes, and created a custom config xml file and with mine and it works great. I am using the Office365 Pro Plus Retail version of the installer. The only user interaction that is required is when they launch the app for the first time, they have to enter their credentials to authenticate the office deployment.

• Yes this seems to have worked! You never fail me HardKnoX! I tried installing the OCT earlier and only the excel sheet extracted so I thought I wasnt able to run the OCT for some reason. But I tried it again and it worked this time. Customizing an MSP and saving it to the office\updates folder automatically applies it. And using my same execute file method (pointing to the network share of the setup.exe file) this works without using any arguments at all. Thanks a million. I'm not so sure the remove old office versions will work crossing between 32bit and 64bit (I have to install 32 bit and most of our old 2010 offices were 64bit). I'll test that out and let you know.

• No problem, happy to help Smile