Kaseya Community

Script to install .pfx certificate

This question is not answered

Hello,

Has anybody some experience to install an .pfx certificate onto a WIndows XP SP3 client ? I have not been able to find any information on how to automate this because there is a question to enter a password. Our .pfx certificate has no password. If anyone has some information on how to do this, it will be most helpful.

Regards,

Frank

All Replies
  • Hi Frank.

How was your .pfx generated? From what I understand, the PKCS12 standard kind of requires an encryption password.

Some interesting general reading can be had here: bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi

You might find it easier in the long run to export the certificate from the original source with an encryption password if you have the opportunity...

Best of luck.

Phil.

• ADDED: The manual installation works fine. But the clients needs to update 150 workstations manually now. I was looking for a way to automate this process. The empty password is no obstruction manually in IE 8.

• Have you tried using WinHttpCertCfg.exe?  msdn.microsoft.com/.../aa384088(v=vs.85).aspx

Alternatively, CertMgr could potentially be used -  msdn.microsoft.com/.../e78byta0(v=vs.80).aspx

I haven't tried either of these methods myself, but as the 'go-to' certificates person in my organisation you can bet I'll be looking into it now! :) - Otherwise it may be easier just to use Group Policy I guess. :\

Phil.

[edited by: Phil G at 7:54 AM (GMT -8) on Jan 21, 2013] (expanded text)