Kaseya Community

Delete 64-bit registry value

• I am trying to delete a default registry key value for the Local_Machine on a  Windows 7 - 64bit machine. I have tried using credentials and not using credentials and will get an error Registry access failed. I then tried using the path with the \ at the end to access the default and get an invalid parameter warning. I have talked to supoprt and our trainer and no one has been able to assist me with this. We have just started using Kaseya and am not sure if I should be setting variables or what is going on. Any assistance and suggestions would be appreciated. I need to delete out the default registry key so it is set at (value not set) instead of the default path that is set there.

• Credentials are likely not the issue. This is caused by registry redirection since the agent itself is a 32-bit application. For a list of what keys are redirected, check here: msdn.microsoft.com/.../aa384253(v=vs.85).aspx

As far as dealing with 64-bit keys, we have to get tricky sometimes. For example, we can run commands in a 64-bit command prompt like this:

(Execute Shell Command) %WINDIR%\sysnative\reg.exe delete HKLM\Software\Example /f

...that way REG.EXE runs as a native 64-bit application and will NOT get redirected to HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Example

Get it?

• thanks for the quick response. I tried to execute the shell command as you noted and it says it runs successfully however when I go look at the registry on my test machine it didn't actually delete it.

I found the culprit...I was trying to delete from ..\Windows NT\... and I needed quotes around the key name and use /ve switch to delete the default key. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

• Ahhh... the quotes. Those are important too. ;)