Kaseya Community

Looking for a script to rename my computer icon with computer name any one have one?

This question has suggested answer(s)

Im looking for a script to rename the computer icon to the computer name and user name

All Replies
  • Ever tried to find the My Computer icon on a computer where something like this was done when you are in a rush? Especially when you need to try and talk a user over the phone to find the My Computer icon and they can't find it because somebody renamed it.  

You should try something like BGinfo instead and nope I don't have a script for this yet, it is on my long "nice to have" to do lists...

• I agree with HardKnoX. It seems like an extremely bad idea at first blush. However, it should be a trivial task to create a new shortcut to "My Computer" (XP) or "Computer" (Win7) and you can name it whatever you want and place it on the user's desktop. If I were going to do such a thing (and I can't think of any reason why I would ever want to) I would create the generic shortcut and place it in the Kaseya Shared Files folder and then use a Kaseya Procedure to just copy it wherever I wanted it and rename it as I copied it.

• Youtube is best source to know about this..

• This is done by the registry.  I always add this to my images.

See the example below.

System Key: [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}]

Rename the value named "LocalizedString" to "LocalizedString.old". Create a new REG_EXPAND_SZ value named "LocalizedString", and set the value to "%USERNAME% on %COMPUTERNAME%".

Exit the registry editor, click on your desktop and press F5 (for refresh). The "My Computer" icon should now be rename to "Username on Computername".

-------------------------------------

So basically make this registry edit and then export the key then push out the key to the needed clients.