Kaseya Community

reboot - yes. shutdown - no

This question has suggested answer(s)

I am trying to make a Procedure that allows reboots but does not allow shutdown.  Is this possible?

At first I tried this: 

Set Registry Value  -> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoClose -> REG-D WORD - "1"

This disables shutdown and reboot.

Is there a way to do one and not the other?

thanks

All Replies
  • I don't know of a way through the registry to do so.  The best way would be to use group policy.

We've found that disabling shutdown doesn't do much.  They still have access to the power button.  It comes down to user training, and if they keep shutting it down, just tell the BIOS to wake it up automatically at X time so you can run maintenance.

• I don't think it's possible to do what you're trying to do. I think it needs to shutdown before it can restart so disabling the shutdown disables restart, as you learned. I agree with Dan. Most of my users are pretty good about restarting their desktops when they leave at night. A gentle email reminder usually helps if they become chronic forgetters. The other option is to run a full scan and patch installation when they're logged in the next day. When they call to complain about how slow their computer is you can tell them that you'd have performed the work last night during the maintainance window if their computer had been restarted instead of shutdown...   :-)

• But as Dan said you can do it through Group Policy.  Doesn't setting something like that in Group Policy simply set a registry key somewhere on system?

• I believe you can remove the "Shudown" button via Group Policy but I don't think you can do what you were asking which was remove the shutdown but leave the option to restart..

support.microsoft.com/.../313924

[edited by: zippo at 2:34 PM (GMT -7) on 4-27-2012] Fix spelling
  • That link is for removing the ability to shut down when you are logged out.  I am looking to do this for people who are logged in.

• If you Google "Shutdown" & "Group Policy" you'll find lots of links but none of them do what you're asking, as near as I can tell. Here's another:

scorpiotek.com/blog

However, I'd be pleased to learn that I'm wrong - yet again  :-)

• You're right.  Theres a lot of people trying to do it and a lot of people unhappy that you can't.

social.technet.microsoft.com/.../5054f70b-5376-4723-b8dc-6bc2627be86e

since restart and shutdown are both variations of shutdown.exe this is maybe not possible?

• "since restart and shutdown are both variations of shutdown.exe this is maybe not possible?"

Exactly.

• One thing that just occurred to me and I've never tried it so don't know if it'd work but... How about a script that ran during logoff. The script would just be a batch file that ran the command:

"shutdown /f /r"

I don't know if that would change a user initiated shutdown into a restart or not but it might. The drawback would be that anytime the user logged off it would initiate a complete restart which might be a problem...