Kaseya Community

Does the "Copy File" Procedure Directly Copy or use the K Server Relay (Local Bandwidth)

This question is answered

I'll try to keep this less then confusing and I appreciate in advance any help anyone can give me.

Essentially we host the K Server in our Corporate Office in one state and have Satelitte offices with managed machines in different states.

I am trying to transfer FILE A from 1 Satellite Computer to another Satellite Computer (both on the Same Local Network. They reside in the same building on the same gateway).

I am using the script: Copy File- Use Credentials (I have Impersonated a user as well in a previous step)

The File COPY works great! No problems there.

My question has to do with bandwidth. When I run this procedure is Kaseya triggering Computer A  to directly copy the File to Computer B? Or is that file Going from Computer A to our Corporate office (where the K Server resides) and then back down to Computer B.

Obviously transferring a 1GB file back to our home office is not ideal in any way as it uses the internet to send up and down. 

Previously I had used Transfer and this appeared to route it back through the K server (not good)

In Short Computer A Copys file to Computer B via the Satellite LAN

OR

Computer A copys file to Corporate Office K Server via the internet which then Copys File to Computer B via the internet

My Goal is to not effect Corporate Bandwidth while copying files between computers at a satellite office.

THANKS!

Verified Answer
  • my bad.

The answer is no it doesn't go via the VSA. you can transfer files from machines which dont have the agent installed on via a unc path and therefore this cannot /does not go via the VSA

All Replies
  • i asked this same question to Kaseya and this is the response i got

Hi Michael,

When using the transfer files step the data transferred between the 2 machines is relayed between the Kserver. As an example, sending a file from PC1 to PC2 would work the following way:

PC1 to Kserver then Kserver to PC2.

Regards,

Tito Esteves

Kaseya Support

• I'm aware that Transfer file does this...However, does COPY FILE do this? Thanks again

• my bad.

The answer is no it doesn't go via the VSA. you can transfer files from machines which dont have the agent installed on via a unc path and therefore this cannot /does not go via the VSA

• Hi FIVE! Thanks....Kaseya support via the phone told me the opposite of this but I highly suspected they were incorrect. I appreciate it thanks!

• Support was right weren't they?  TRANSFER relays through the kserver and COPY FILE can use the UNC paths to go direct. Or am I missing something?  I've re-read this a couple times, but I'm not certain my end-of-the-week brain is processing things well right now.

• Just tested this from a  Machine with Kaseya on it to a machine that doesn't VIA UNC Path and it worked...Awesome thanks so much!

• @Brendan

Support was right about transfer file

Support was incorrect about copy file.

Your's and my posts were correct about both.

• That's it!  My head just exploded.  :)  Thanks Michael!  Have a great weekend!

• Sorry when I talked to Support via the Phone I was told COPY runs through VSA as well as Transfer. I made them double check and they came back with the same answer saying all files will go through the relay.

Sorry my end of the week brain isn't working either.

• We have "Transfer File", "Write File - From Agent","Copy file", "Write File". All three of them will go through the Kaseya server except 'copy file'.

I think what may have lead to the confusion is when copying a file "between agents" was brought up it seemed as though you were using the two steps that allow you to specify an agent for the transfer (Transfer file and Write File - From agent), which both go through the Kaseya server for their file transfer.

Copy file just runs the 'copy' command for Windows/OS X/Linux, with some additional intelligence to assist in troubleshooting why it may not work (e.g. source file is not present, you will see that written to the agent procedure log). UNC paths of course will work fine here as well as Michael mentioned.