Kaseya Community

need script to install google chrome standalone

This question is answered
Verified Answer
  • since we don't have the software deployment and won't be getting it soon, I ended up creating my own.

used the disable auto updates and created a master preference file that is then imported in.

Also to disable the automatic update notification in Chrome set the registry key;

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Google\Update\AutoUpdateCheckPeriodMinutes to the REG_SZ (string) value of "0".

master preference file

www.chromium.org/.../configuring-other-preferences

All Replies
  • need script to install google chrome standalone.  Updates disabled

Thanks Wayne

• Great news!

You do not need scripts to deploy Google Chrome (along with a slew of other common applications).

You can pick any recent version of Google Chrome to deploy and push it out silently with complete policy-based control over which machines get it. 

You can even setup a policy to automatically keep it updated to the latest version. 

You can even have it downloaded once per customer site to reduce bandwidth consumption :)

Check it out :)

http://www.kaseya.com/features/software-deployment-and-update.aspx

• @Ben have they fixed the issue with not having a per site file repository yet?

@mithrax Unfortunately I could not share this script with you as it has to many custom settings and it would require some doing to make it work in your environment.

Deploying Google Chrome is very easy, the key to it is to use the Enterprise Edition of Google Chrome and to do version control.

dl.google.com/.../GoogleChromeStandaloneEnterprise.msi

What I mean by version control is if you look at the top URL for the Enterprise Edition of Google Chrome, you will notice that there is no version number in the file name or URL. The way I script my deployment is to check the current installed version and match it to the version going to be deployed by the deployment script if the installed version is equal then nothing gets done, if it is higher then I get an alert email sent to me to update my deployment script and if it is lower then the deployment continues on without any required input on my behalf. This means I managing the versions being installed making sure that I test new versions first before deploying them.

If you want to be lazy about it simply push out Chrome Enterprise Edition say every month regardless if it is the same version or not and it will take care of the updates for you. You can then use the Kaseya Policy Manager to push it out to all of your end points.

Also to disable the automatic update notification in Chrome set the registry key;

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Google\Update\AutoUpdateCheckPeriodMinutes to the REG_SZ (string) value of "0".

Simply add this to your deployment script and your customers should no longer be bugged about updating their Google Chrome.

• @Ben have they fixed the issue with not having a per site file repository yet?

Yep, hotfixed two weeks ago.

• since we don't have the software deployment and won't be getting it soon, I ended up creating my own.

used the disable auto updates and created a master preference file that is then imported in.

master preference file

www.chromium.org/.../configuring-other-preferences

• msiexec /q /i <googlechromefile>.msi

www.google.com/.../thread