Files not showing up in manage files -> upload dialog that do show up in windows explorer.

Forums

Forums
Forums, discussions, and Q&A for all products.

Files not showing up in manage files -> upload dialog that do show up in windows explorer.

• See the attached image. Notice that files listed in windows explorer are not showing up in the Internet Explorer upload dialog.

Running Internet Explorer 9 on Windows 7 x64.

I have tried running as administrator, I have made sure hidden files and folders and system files are shown, have checked that I have NTFS read access to the files, and I have checked the windows\syswow64 folder to see if maybe they exist there under some kind of virtualization. But, no matter what I do, I can not figure out why some files will not show up in the upload dialog.

Anybody know what is going on?

[edited by: Appleoddity at 8:39 PM (GMT -7) on 8-17-2011] Fixed picture
  • Does the same issue occur in Chrome/Firefox, and/or is this behavior isolated to this directory?

Thanks,

Rob

• @Appleoddity: Please log a support ticket and we'll take a look. Please indicate in the ticket the name of the example machine you used in the screenshot there.

Can you please reference this forum post when logging the ticket?

Thanks,

Amado Hidalgo

Kaseya Customer Service Team

• For some reason, even though I select the option to receive e-mail for replies to my threads, I don't seem to get them.

Thanks for your responses.  I have tested that this behavior is the same in Firefox also.  

If I copy the files I want to another folder, such as my desktop they show up just fine.  They for some reason do not show up when trying to grab these files out of the windows\system32 folder.  Yet, some of the files that do show up have the exact same file extension, permissions, attributes, etc. as the ones that aren't.  Strange.

I will open a ticket and update here as necessary for others to learn.

• Ok.. I found the solution.

This "problem" is a result of running a 32-bit browser on a 64-bit operating system.   Due to the underlying structure of the 64-bit operating system there is some transparent folder redirection going on to ensure compatibility and separation between 32-bit and 64-bit system files.

What this means is, if you are using a 32-bit program on a 64-bit OS and you navigate to C:\Windows\System32, the program will literally see the contents of "C:\Windows\SysWOW64."  A 64-bit program will see the literal contents of C:\Windows\System32.  This is to allow 32-bit and 64-bit system files to stay separate, while transparently allowing 32-bit and 64-bit programs to function normally.

The secret to accessing the true contents of C:\Windows\System32 from a 32-bit program (IE 32-bit for example), you have to access the special folder C:\Windows\sysnative.  You will not be able to see sysnative at all, from what I can tell.  However, you can type it in and get to it.  For example, you can open a file upload dialog in Internet Explorer, navigate to C:\Windows and then type in sysnative and press ENTER.  It will open the REAL C:\Windows\System32 folder and you will be able to see the 64-bit files.

In my case above, I was trying to grab 64-bit files, and my 32-bit browser could not see those without utilizing the sysnative special folder.

Kind of a nice thing to know seems how 64-bit browsers, in my mind, are still worthless without a 64-bit flashplayer.  However, I see a Flashplayer 11 Beta is out that supports 64-bit finally.  Not a surprise, seems how Adobe stays about 3 years behind on fixing bugs, and accomodating changes in technology.

It is also important to point out that this same kind of transparent redirection happens within the windows registry.  32-bit programs are re-directed to HKLM\Software\WOW6432Node when they attempt to access HKLM\Software adding additional complexities if you want to see the real contents of HKLM\Software from a 32-bit program.

That raises the question, in what architecture does the Kaseya agent run when it is installed on a 64-bit operating system?  Is it 32-bit, or a true 64-bit native program?  What registry keys will it be able to see, when using the if-then-else statement in a procedure to test a registry key?  Worth testing to find out.