Kaseya Community

Update Malwarebytes automatically?

  • Procedure Update MWB.xml

    I  created the attached agent procedure just today. When I schedule it to run, I get a message that it completed successfully, However, when I open MWB, I get a message still that the database is old. I need this to work on 32 and 64 bit machines. Can someone help me fix this, please?

    -Mike



    [edited by: Mike Jones at 4:05 PM (GMT -7) on 5-23-2011] typo correction.
  • on my installation the executable appears to be mbam-msp.exe

  • I double checked our install on several machines, they are all using mbam.exe. I ran the command mbam.exe /runupdate manually from a command prompt on a few of those, and it updated fine. I'm not sure why my procedure is not working.

    -Mike

  • I didn't actually import the script, but I want to point out that you don't need to check for 64-bit at all. Just run the shell command normally as 32-bit. If the OS happens to be 64-bit, the command will be redirected for you.

  • Also, you might have better luck if you use Execute File instead of Execute Shell Command. With Execute File, you will actually get an error if something else is wrong.

  • I created a new procedure, Execute Shell Command, and called mbam.exe /runupdate. It ran as logged in user, and I did not check the 64 bit box. Scheduled the procedure, it successfully ran. Opened MWB and got a message that my database is outdated still.

    I created a new procedure, Execute File, and put in the path C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe, then added the /runupdate arguments to pass to the executable.. That one worked fine, but the path is wrong for 32 bit. How do I set it up so it will work on 32 and 64 bit?

    -Mike

  • Take the (x86) out of the path. You don't need it.

    The reason it works is because the agent itself is 32-bit and it will get redirected to the (x86) folder anyway!

  • Procedure MWB update.xml

    I took out the (x86). The Execute File procedure ran just fine on the 32 bit machines I tested, but it failed on the 64 bit machine, saying the path could not be found.

    On 32 bit, the path is C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe

    On 64 bit, it is C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe

    Attached is the agent procedure I am now trying to make work. It works fine on 32 bit as you see it, no go on 64 bit.



    [edited by: Mike Jones at 1:16 PM (GMT -7) on 5-24-2011] added procedure
  • I think the switch changed from "mbam.exe /runupdate" to "mbam.exe /update -silent" after version 1.5 came out. I wonder if that is what's messing you up?

    Check the help file within Malwarebytes. It has a pretty good section on Command Line Parameters.

  • The /runupdate command does work on 64 bit and 32 bit though. But also, we have version 1.50.

    Isn't there a way to tell a procedure to check for 32 or 64 bit, then execute a command based on what bit it is?

    -Mike

  • Yeah, you could always do a Check Variable #vMachine.OsInfo# contains "x64". True is 64-bit and false is 32-bit.

    I think it's weird that it doesn't work the other way though.

  • Procedure MalwareBytes Update.xml

    I did some testing on this and it was bugging me that if you have an un-registered version you can't do a silent, no interaction, update.  I found a work-around but it is a gray area so I strongly urge you to consider MalwareBytes EULA and the customer you deploy the work-around for before you do so. A mom and pop shop with only a few pc's you can probably get away with it.  For a real corporation you probably want them to buy the corporate version or resell Kaseya's managed version.

    With the unregistered version you can simply run the mbam.exe /update which then updates and prompts the user with an OK | Cancel dialogue box.  Turns out that no matter which button they choose the process still gets updated.  So, I run the update as system to put it in the background, then after a specified amount of time I just kill the process via taskkill from the command prompt.  5 minutes is probably overkill but I want to take bandwidth into consideration.  I've tested on only a few machines so far including Win7 and XP.