Kaseya Community

Microsoft Server Licence Count VS Enabled Users

This question is not answered

Hi All,

I want to create a script or use an existing one (no point in re-creating the wheel) to show me how many active users are in a domain VS how many CAL's are installed on the domain controller (in most cases this will be running on SBS 2003 & SBS 2008 servers).

We need this as we are constantly coming up against licence issues when creating new users.

An idea that I had was (if the above was possible) to have a new user script check the licence count prior to executing, thus saving us manual labour by counting the users VS licences.

I am happy to share any and all resources and the end result once tested and confirmed working.

Thanks in advanced to anyone with any ideas.

Luke.

All Replies
  • There is some VBSCRIPT code here that you might be able to adapt to your situation?

social.technet.microsoft.com/.../d2767f97-3cb4-4f43-9977-0b245232ee8b

• Procedure Per User CAL Report.zip

This will be very useful for us too.

I've incorportated the script from the link above into a Kaseya script (attached).

Seems to produce some good info for 2008 servers, but nothing for 2003 - my changes may have broken it though...

I've changed the VBScript so that it outputs the same information to the stdout as it does to the csv file, so that I can email it to myself (prompts for email address), and so that it always outputs the same csv filename so that it is easier to get the file onto the KServer.

Apart from that, it should function exactly as the published script does.

Anyway, use this as a starting point if you like - I'll come back to it later when I have more time.

[edited by: Simon Burbidge at 8:43 PM (GMT -7) on 3-30-2011] Edited to remove excess newlines...
  • When you run this script on a 2003 server it reports that it doesn't meets the requirements of a 2008 server see below.

FAILED in processing THEN step 7, Get File, with error File Open Failed, Getting status of c:\kworking\PerUserCALReport.csv   KaseyaAdmin

Report Informational: Execute DOS Command task in THEN step 5 was ignored because the client machine is running Win2003, which does not meet the Win2008 OS type criteria.

When you run it on a 2008 server you get this LOL

FAILED in processing THEN step 7, Get File, with error File Open Failed, Getting status of c:\kworking\PerUserCALReport.csv

Informational: Execute DOS Command task in THEN step 4 was ignored because the client machine is running Win2008, which does not meet the Win2003 OS type criteria.

I didn't look any further just thought I'd try it real fast. Could come in handy.

Kevin.