• I am trying to do a procedure that will get a variable using the following:

Get Variable

Type of Value - SQL View Data

Value - #vAgentConfiguration.lastLoginName#

Name - LastLogged

Next step - Execute a shell command

Echo #lastLogged# >> c:\lastlogged.txt

When i ran this procedure i get:

Failed to create then step1, Get Variable.Error = Invalid Parameter, Script variable source specification of SQL View/Column is missing a slash

What am i doing wrong? Need help on this. Thanks.

[edited by: pords at 11:49 AM (GMT -8) on 2-16-2011] update next step line
  • SQL View Data - Use the GetVariable command with the SQL View Data option to create a new procedure variable and set it to the value of a dbo.SqlView.Column value. Use the format SqlViewName/ColumnName/mach.groupID or SqlViewName/ColumnName. If the optional machine ID is omitted, then the value for the agent executing the procedure is retrieved. If ColumnName contains a space, surround it with square brackets. Example: vSystemInfo/[Product Name]. See System > Database Views for a list of the SQL views and columns that are available.

• just an extract from the help you can see the format is viewname/columnname

• Thanks. i saw this one too. So your saying that i should use vAgentConfiguration/lastLoginname? instead of what i have there?

• Actually, i read the help again and realized my mistake. Thanks.

i used constant value and #vAgentConfiguration.lastLoginName# - it worked.

• As an alternative, you can also use the registry for retrieving last login:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\DefaultUserName

[edited by: SMason at 12:38 PM (GMT -8) on 2-16-2011] Fixed registry key
  • Hi pords and anyone else confused by this.

The problem is you asked to call a sql value from a variable which was already calling the system value.

you did

get Sql value for #vAgentConfiguration.lastLoginName# and store in LastLogged

computer sees

get SQL value for "administrator" and store in LastLogged (assuming administrator was the last logged in user)

All you need to do is.

Echo #vAgentConfiguration.lastLoginName# >> c:\lastlogged.txt

and you will get what you needed.

• There is often a lot of confusion between Get Variable - SQL View/Column, and the #viewName.columnName# syntax.

They are used separately, not together, only ever one of them. You do NOT need a Get Variable step of any kind to use #viewName.columnName#, as that is a 'variable' that already exists, it does not require creation. For example, create a new script and add a single step, say Write Procedure Log Entry, and put #vAgentConfiguration.agentTempDir# into the text field. Run the script on a machine and you'll see the agent working directory (i.e. C:\kworking) in the Script Log for the agent.

Have fun!

• Lingario & Josh,

Thanks. I was able to make it work after trial and error cause i didnt see your response right away. Anyway, I do have another problem which i was able to create a work around. when i output the value to a file for example using - Echo #vAgentConfiguration.lastLoginName# >> c:\lastlogged.txt - for some reason, a white space is added at the end which would mess up result.

Any suggestion how i can accomplish this without the added white space? Thanks.

• Yes, do this:

Echo #vAgentConfiguration.lastLoginName#>>c:\lastlogged.txt

You do not need spaces surrounding the output operators.

• Thanks!! So simple and yet easy to overlook. worked great!

• Also when doing an echo you are always better off enclosing the content and the path in "" to use as delimiters just in case the content makes the command think it should break or the path contains spaces and acts up funny.

This will make sure you only input the content without extra characters like the space in end but I agree with SMason that you don't need the output operators

Echo "#vAgentConfiguration.lastLoginName#">>"c:\lastlogged.txt"

On another note Kaseya procedures now have a step "Write text to file" that will basically run the echo command for you