Kaseya Community

Script Reference?

This question is answered

Is there a documented scripting reference for Kaseya?  Like, what operators are accepted, what command structure is, etc?  Something people can use as a starting point to familiarize themselves with the language would be great.

Verified Answer
  • There is no real "scripting language" that Kaseya uses... your best bet in learning how to script is to take a look at the demo scripts that are provided by kaseya...

• I wouldn't really recommend using the scripts that are provided by kaseya for much.  They do a lot of things in them that you probably shouldn't do as a best practice (get agent temp directory...k, now write file to c:\temp).

However, they may give you ideas.  What I do when I train new guys on the engine is I have them create a blank script and then go down through each item to learn what it does.  The help button is actually very good for this.

thirteentwenty does have a good point that the best way to learn for most people is to dive in and look at what other people have done with the scripting engine.  But really, all it has are the things you see.  The only hidden stuff is the SQL View data and that's all in the help file.

• Correct... the exported XML file is, imo, pretty much to share your script with others (ie in the community) or archival purposes (I'll do complete backups of our scripts and monitor sets ever few months or as needed). I figure it might help if all things bad happens all at once and I'm unable to recover the downed Kserver and the backups are lost in a zombie attacke or something, at least I'll be able to get that much back and have a good starting point.

• Click on the large "?" in the top left of the Kaseya interface. Look for Database Views for a list of all views and variables.

All Replies
  • There is no real "scripting language" that Kaseya uses... your best bet in learning how to script is to take a look at the demo scripts that are provided by kaseya...

• I wouldn't really recommend using the scripts that are provided by kaseya for much.  They do a lot of things in them that you probably shouldn't do as a best practice (get agent temp directory...k, now write file to c:\temp).

However, they may give you ideas.  What I do when I train new guys on the engine is I have them create a blank script and then go down through each item to learn what it does.  The help button is actually very good for this.

thirteentwenty does have a good point that the best way to learn for most people is to dive in and look at what other people have done with the scripting engine.  But really, all it has are the things you see.  The only hidden stuff is the SQL View data and that's all in the help file.

• That makes a bit more sense.. My interpretation of the XML code I've been importing from various script sources led me to believe that there was an underlying 'language' I could use to code things...

To paraphrase then, what you're saying is that the features that are built into the WYSIWYG (for lack of a better term) Script-Editor is the only script functionality available, and the XML files that can be exported are merely a 'flat-file' export of the features included in the GUI Script Editor?

• Correct... the exported XML file is, imo, pretty much to share your script with others (ie in the community) or archival purposes (I'll do complete backups of our scripts and monitor sets ever few months or as needed). I figure it might help if all things bad happens all at once and I'm unable to recover the downed Kserver and the backups are lost in a zombie attacke or something, at least I'll be able to get that much back and have a good starting point.

• Which help file would that be?  I'm looking for a list of the #variables# accepted by the language... I've been fumbling through it though using interpretation...  A help file would be awesome!

Thanks! :-)

• Click on the large "?" in the top left of the Kaseya interface. Look for Database Views for a list of all views and variables.