Kaseya Community

Silent IE8 Install

This question is not answered

Hi Everyone,

I am new to Kaseya and this community.  I went through search but have been unable to find a solution to my problem.

I am trying to figure out how to create an agent procedure to install Internet Explorer 8 silently on multiple/specific computers.  I have been able to create an .msi by using the IEAK but don't know how to integrate that into creating a script in Kaseya.  Also, when testing the .msi the installation starts but there still is a window that popups asking to install the updates.  Please let me know if anyone has been able to resolve this problem or has already created a script.  Thank you very much

-Art

All Replies
  • You don't need an MSI unless you're planning on deploying with Group Policy. You can run the IE8 setup executable with the /quiet switch. A reboot is required, so make sure that gets scheduled appropriately.

  • You can also use the msi file and use /q switch. I have it both ways because sometimes the msi file works better on a machine than the exe does. Why? Got me.

  • I personally haven't had to do this yet since IE8 seems to get deployed just fine via Patch Management. If you have an MSI, you just need to write it to the machine and execute it with a shell command in the script that does something like 'msiexec "#vagentconfiguration.agenttempdir#\install.msi" /quiet /qn /norestart'

  • @Ben                         True on the deployment of an msi, I left that out earlier sorry.  IE8 was deployed via Patch Management just fine, but then it stopped now I get failures on it constantly. Has anyone else had issues with it?

    @arodriguez             If it still is prompting for info, go back over the IEAK configuration again and double check your options. It took me a couple of times to get it to work correctly.

  • Yes, I've seen IE8 installs fail, actually I see it almost every other week... I think it has something to do with the order of install, though I'm not sure which patch breaks the install of IE8, I've found the only way to fix it is to back IE8 out, then do more updates, then reinstall after the next few rounds.

  • I have my theories that it could be one of the .NET 4 patches, but no proof.

  • Makes sence, MS just put a .NET4 update in a class of its own (no other patches allowed with it.)  I've got a couple of build outs that I can test that theory with.  I'll give it a try on one of them.