Kaseya Community

Java 6 Update 20 - Single Procedure for 32-bit and 64-bit OS

• Spent a few hours on this one....

I think it may come in handy, and you'll be able to look at some of the methods I use for detecting user activity, determining exactly what version of Java needs to be run depending on whether or not it is already installed, along with looking at the bit level of the OS.

http://files.kaseya.com/sftp/k2javaupdate.zip

It doesn't need any special MSI tricks for installing the 32-bit version of Java on a 64-bit OS -- it took a lot of elbow grease and regmon, filemon and procmon to figure it out.

I'll try to get more like this completed and packaged up for debut at our user conference.

Legacy Forum Name: Java 6 Update 20 - Single Procedure for 32-bit and 64-bit OS,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Benjamin.Lavalley@kaseya.com

• Legacy Forum Name: Kaseya2 Scripts,
  • Awesome script. Have tested and used without an issue. Thanks for the hard work!

Legacy Forum Name: Kaseya2 Scripts,
    Legacy Posted By Username: luke.bragg
  • Nice, but for the 64 bit os' didnt you need both the 64 bit and the 32 bit versions of Java installed to cover both browsers?

Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty
  • thirteentwenty
    Nice, but for the 64 bit os' didnt you need both the 64 bit and the 32 bit versions of Java installed to cover both browsers?

Certainly, and the procedure should be installing both the 32 and 64 bit versions if either is missing.

• Benjamin.Lavalley@kaseya.com
    Certainly, and the procedure should be installing both the 32 and 64 bit versions if either is missing.

My Bad, I kind of jumped the gun on that post.

• Just made some tweaks and re-uploaded the procedure. My logic for detecting user activity needed a slight modification.

• Benjamin.Lavalley@kaseya.com
    Just made some tweaks and re-uploaded the procedure. My logic for detecting user activity needed a slight modification.

IMO the only part that needed to be tweaked was the message to the user. I've found that users want to know whats happening so they can decide wheather or not to opt in or out. So all I really did was make the message say "To enhance your browser performance and security, the latest version of Java needs to be installed... " then some standard disclaimer stuff and the obvious click yes to continue, or no to cancel. Then at the end I run a "Thank you" message so the end user knows it's safe to fire up their browsers again.

• Hi,

Thanks for a great script!

Found an error which you might want to update:
    If the user already has the last version, the file updateneeded is not created. But it will still try to delete it (way down in one of the last lines). Removing that line seems to do the trick.

Andreas Lydersen
    Metro Remote as

Legacy Posted By Username: alydersen
  • alydersen
    Hi,

Thanks for a great script!

Found an error which you might want to update:
    If the user already has the last version, the file updateneeded is not created. But it will still try to delete it (way down in one of the last lines). Removing that line seems to do the trick.

Andreas Lydersen
    Metro Remote as

I'll tick the box 'continue if fail' to avoid this. Thanks Smile

• Hi again,

I have good experience with one more thing:
    If you kill jusched.exe and jucheck.exe, the update icon at the bottom is dealt with. If you don't, it will keep on showing even though Java is updated.

Andreas

Legacy Posted By Username: alydersen
  • hi,

Tested this script on a computer, got a java dialogue box telling me that jqs.exe needed to close. is it save to include a line to kill this executable, if exist?

further it is a good script.

Legacy Posted By Username: fourtopms
  • Wondering if anybody's tried this on 2008 or 2008 R2 terminal servers. Would think the TS would need to be in install mode first, but if anybody has any experience/recommendations, it would be greatly appreciated.

Legacy Posted By Username: binsci
  • This has really helped me, we require java on all machines.

However, I was wondering if there are any plans to update it to version 6 update 21?

If anyone else is interested, I would spend the time to do it and post? or if someone already has can they post?

Legacy Posted By Username: ccoleman
  • ccoleman
    This has really helped me, we require java on all machines.

However, I was wondering if there are any plans to update it to version 6 update 21?

If anyone else is interested, I would spend the time to do it and post? or if someone already has can they post?

I have a update 21 script!