Kaseya Community

Using Ninite to update applications via Agent Procedure

• Procedure Supported Apps Update.xml

Here is an agent procedure I've adapted for use with Ninite installers.  We use the /freeze function to generate the LAN version of the file stored up on our KServer.  The agent procedure determines whether it should run using the LAN vs Internet version.

We use this to update Adobe Reader, Flash, Silverlight, ActiveX, Java, Firefox

Curious anyone's thoughts, jubiliations, suggestions?

Glenn

[edited by: Glenn Bach at 12:16 PM (GMT -8) on 11-23-2010] added info
  • Glenn is this the free or paid for version of Ninite?  I've found that the free version is very limited and doesn't allow some of the command line switches.

• We use Ninite Pro, but I believe from a technical level the features we use are available in the free version.

• I will check out your procedure but yes, Ninite is awesome.  Considering you can run the installer to install or update/upgrade that beats the messing around with trying to imitate that with Agent procedures.  I was just in the process of creating some wrapper Agent Procedures when I saw yours.

Thanks.

• Another note if you're looking to do this for single application installs, this procedure will work for any ninite generated .exe file (single or multiple apps).  Also, if you run a /freeze argument against it, it will build an offline exe containing the full installers for the apps.

Feel free to e-mail me at glenn@structuredis.com, I'm also curious about any suggestions for the procedure, or other ideas of how your team handles updates.

• Any idea how Ninite handles updates to these programs if they are in use at the time of script execution?

• Ninite can't/won't update files that are in use (like anything in Windows).  If you enable the logging to file feature it puts a "locked" entry in the log.  Take a look at the agent procedure, I built this intelligence into it...it will prompt the user to close the affected software so it can be updated.

• this procedure is great!

thanks a million Glenn!

• What is the difference between an internet version and LAN version?

• with the internet version ninite gets the files from the web when it is run - with the lan version it downloads the packages first so you would run the lan version if you were installing on multiple machines inside the lan as the files for the applications would be in the fileshare also. The other difference though is that the internet one you are guaranteed to always get the latest file whereas with the lan version it will be the file version from the time you created the package

• Mmartin, that's correct.  

Lsumarkb, write an agent procedure to update the lan version on the kaseya server itself, and then push that file via "distribute file" to the LAN share locations. :)

Example: "niniteupdateinternet.exe /silent /freeze niniteupdatelan.exe" will update the lan file based on the packages specified on the internet version.

• Is there a document that you get this information from? how did you build this script?

Kaseya has this patch management thing all wrong. We buy a program like this to save time not to have to figure out more scripts in a different language then what we already used.

• all documenation is on the ninite.com website - fairly straight forward it is just command line parameters. have a read of their help. This product has nothing to do with Kaseya, it is just a great and cheap way to deliver applications.

• Yea. I spoke too soon before doing my own research. My frustration and the comments that came after have to do with the fact that I think Kaseya should provide the same service as Ninite in that I should be able to pick adobe, java, etc and it installs on their PCs.

also, this script would require the pro version for it to work. otherwise, the switches won't work.

• Kaseya does provide a way to deliver the same services as Ninite.

I use Ninite because the $20 a month is well worth the 2 hours of my life I would have spent rewriting scripts every time an Adobe or Java product gets exploited.