Kaseya Community

Monitor Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery 2010

This question is not answered

Hello,

what are others using to check backups made by Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery 2010?

All Events are written using ID 100 type informational, so that's not usable i guess.

Regards,

Jens

All Replies
  • Good question Jens.  As much as I like BESR, monitoring it is a real pain compared to traditional backups.  Short of collecting all the ID100's and checking them all over which is just too resource hungry.

• My first thought is to create an event set that just collects BESR events written to the server. Next, create a report that emails you daily (first thing in the morning is good) all events that match the BESR event set for that server (only events for the past day). So when you get in first thing, you should have an email with a report that tells you what you need to see about the nightly backup for that server.

So now every day you'll have an email report ready for you to gleen over to make sure that server was backed up correctly. This should keep you from having to manually login to the server and checking, or having to redirect BESRs reporting to email you after every job (you'll get several email per job if you do this, plus when it removes a set you'll get a ton more).

Just a thought.

• I haven't started using BESR yet but I am setting it up now. Does anyone have a list or a link to a list of Event IDs for this program. If we narrow down the list to the critical ones we should be able to do a event set (or several event sets) for BESR, unless of course there are way too many. With Backup Exec I basically started with a list in a spreadsheet and designed the event sets from there.

• @killroy - therein lies the problem - you get Event ID 100 - that's it regardless of the message, success, failure, cancellation or whatever.

@David Bourgois - Nice solution if you have one server to monitor but I have around 50 a number that grows monthly.

The blame here lies with Symantec as the level of reporting from the app is appalling.  Frustrating as it's a really good product.

• I misunderstood that.

At least Backup Exec has distinct Event IDs.

Are there any of the Event 100s that are especially critical that you could filter by keywords in the description? or is that once again too many entries?

• Since BESR is not integrated with Kaseya (BUDR is and would handle all of this for you), Kaseya has no integration to use to automate this for you. So looking past trapping the event id's and then reporting on them, I do not know. Now you're relying on the vendor to give you the solution (Symantec) and Kaaseya to work with whats there.

• I have been looking into this myself and the list I have available is as follows. These EventIDs were gathered from BESR 2010 version 9.0.1.36527.

If you'll notice, the Info and Error numbers in the description give enough detail that you should be able to get an idea of what's going on with BESR while also giving something specific to target in the monitor sets.

I haven't built the monitor sets yet myself, but I'm hoping to in the next week or so.

HTH.

Rob

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: Backup Exec System Recovery
    Event Category: High Priority
    Event ID: 100
    Date:  8/11/2010
    Time:  7:00:11 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: SERVER
    Description:
    Info 6C8F1F65: The drive-based backup job, Drive Backup of OS (C:\), has been started automatically.
    Details:
    Source: Backup Exec System Recovery

Event Category: Medium Priority
    Time:  7:00:11 PM
    Description:
    Error EBAB03F1: Operation aborted.
    Info 6C8F17E7: An automatic recovery point was not created because an earlier recovery point from the same job was still in progress.
    Details:

Time:  11:02:44 PM
    Description:
    Info 6C8F1F7F: A scheduled independent recovery point of drive C:\ was created successfully.
    Details:

Date:  8/12/2010
    Time:  8:10:33 AM
    Description:
    Info 6C8F1F5F: Created offsite copy ftp:///offsite/SERVER_C_Drive007.v2i.
    Details:

Time:  11:02:57 PM
    Description:
    Info 6C8F1F60: Removed offsite copy ftp://NAS/USB_Seagate_FreeAgent_part1/backups/SERVER_C_Drive003.v2i because primary image was deleted.
    Details:

Event Type: Error
    Date:  8/10/2010
    Time:  10:54:11 PM
    Description:
    Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: Drive Backup of OS (C:\).
     Error E7D1001F: Unable to write to file.
      Error EBAB03F1: The specified network name is no longer available.
     Error E7D10046: Unable to set file size.
      Error EBAB03F1: The specified network name is no longer available. (UMI:V-281-3215-6071)

Details:

Date:  8/9/2010
    Time:  10:55:28 PM
    Description:
    Error EBAB03F1: The operation was canceled by the user.
    Info 6C8F1C2F: A recovery point operation on drive Drive Backup of OS (C:\) was cancelled by the user.
      Error E7D1003C: There is not enough space.
       Error EBAB03F1: There is not enough space on the disk.
    Details:

Event Type: Warning
    Date:  8/9/2010
    Time:  10:55:28 PM
    Description:
    Error EC8F17E5: Your recovery point location of \\NAS\backups\ is running out of space. Please run the Cleanup Recovery Points task to free up some space.
      Error E7D1003C: There is not enough space.
       Error EBAB03F1: There is not enough space on the disk.
    Error EBAB03F1: Not enough storage is available to complete this operation.
    Details:

• We have just started with Kaseya and would really need some help with this as we have many BESR Servers and Workstations. Looking looking forward to you monitor set.

• I have added Event monitoring

source Backup Exec System Recovery

Description *Fehler*

and *Error*

Not sure if works though, i will see next days. At least it might capture failures.

• I have created two event sets, one for failed jobs and the other for successful jobs. so far they work for me.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?>

<event_sets>

<set_elements setName="60510 - Symantec BESR - Successful Jobs" eventSetId="90851955" snmpTraps="0">

<element_data ignore="0" source="Backup Exec System Recovery" category="*" eventId="100" username="*" description="*6C8F1F7E*"/>

<element_data ignore="0" source="Backup Exec System Recovery" category="*" eventId="100" username="*" description="*6C8F1F7D*"/>

</set_elements>

</event_sets>

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?>

<event_sets>

<set_elements setName="60510 - Symantec BESR - Failed Jobs" eventSetId="53456623" snmpTraps="0">

<element_data ignore="0" source="Backup Exec System Recovery" category="*" eventId="100" username="*" description="*error*"/>

</set_elements>

</event_sets>

• How do you get notified if System Recovery did not run at all?

• I use the successful job event set. I have it setup so that if it doesn't see the event occur once a day (or whatever your backup schedule is) to throw an alarm. so far it has been working well.

• can you please share the procedure and what are the kinds of events that you are monitoring about the BESR using Kaseya?

• Not sure if this will help or not but, Symantec have released a Beta Testing Opportunity for Backup Exec integration into the Kaseya UI.

Here is the link to learn more: symbeta.symantec.com/callout

• I have 4 months of arguing and debating with Symantec support just to get a list of Error codes for their software so that we could achieve this accurately and guess what after 4 months they came good!

You won't like the list though, several thousand at best...

www.symantec.com/.../index