Kaseya Community

Monitoring Trend Micro

• We've been using Kaseya for a while now, but using the different tools in a staged approach to ensure we get the most out of each area before moving onto something new.

We're onto Monitoring, but finding out that we're having to use Scripting to 'Monitor' certain products. I came across a link (http://community.kaseya.com/xsp/f/132/t/10192.aspx) which Onno de Vries wrote some time back. The script and monitoring works but I am concerned that it doesn't give me the right information. It's suppose to monitor if the pattern file goes out of date, and generates a Event ID (which we then report on). But the Event ID is still saying 7 days old, when we check the product and its up-to-date (i.e. yesterday)?

Can anyone assist? This is by far my weakest area within Kaseya!

Thanks in advance

Anthony Wicks

Escape Business Technologies

Carden Place

Aberdeen

http://www.escape-tech.co.uk

Legacy Forum Name: Monitoring Trend Micro,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Anthony.Wicks
  • You have hit on a problem I saw a few years ago. The Kaseay monitoring options aren't enough to truely verify anti-virus software is up to date and working properly. So I created a program to solve the problem. It's called Trend AV Check. Currently I'm coding for version 2.0. I'm hoping to have it finished soon. My first role is as a network consultant soon I don't always get to work on it as much as I'd like sometimes. I'm no longer selling version 1 as it doesn't work with some of the later Trend Micro releases. The new Smart Scan option, in particular, has me reworking some of the code. Plus I'm moving the VBScript (Version 1.x) to C++ (Version 2.x). Send me a PM and I'll put you on the notification list once the next release is ready. There will be a trial version available for testing and evaluation.

Matt

Legacy Forum Name: Monitor Sets,
    Legacy Posted By Username: connectex
  • Anthony,

Are you aware of the Trend Micro Worry-Free Remote Manager Console? It's here: https://wfrm-us.trendmicro.com/ and it willl allow you to monitor multiple installations of Trend Micro in one location.

Also, I read a couple of weeks ago that Trend is working with some as yet unknown RMM tool vendors in order to integrate their Remote Manager Console with the RMM tool. Hopefully, Kaseya is part of that effort!

Michael

Legacy Posted By Username: RCS-Michael
  • Yes, I'm aware of Trend's remote console option. It just consolidates the information from multiple Trend Micro installations. It assumes the remote consoles are accurate which is not completely true from what I've seen in the past. What if the console isn't updated via the internet because you don't want to open the client port through your firewall? What if a console or workstation service isn't running? What if the console isn't getting proper updates? This program runs directly on a system(s). It doesn't rely on Trend Micro's console. Think of it as third party verification that your anti-virus is properly installed, actively working, and currently up to date.

Matt

• Thanks for the information guys. I was hoping that Trend would have some sort of Registry Key or Event ID which Kaseya would be able to report on. Our company support a wide variety of clients using different versions of both Trend and other antivirus products (although the main is Trend, being a reseller).

With the money we are already spending on Kaseya, I was hoping not to have to incur any further cost but maybe this will be the case. Will keep looking/investigating witht he hope that something is gonna work?

Thanks again

Anthony Wicks

• Anthony.Wicks
    Thanks for the information guys. I was hoping that Trend would have some sort of Registry Key or Event ID which Kaseya would be able to report on. Our company support a wide variety of clients using different versions of both Trend and other antivirus products (although the main is Trend, being a reseller).

With the money we are already spending on Kaseya, I was hoping not to have to incur any further cost but maybe this will be the case. Will keep looking/investigating witht he hope that something is gonna work?

Thanks again

Anthony Wicks

Anthony, I didn't mention it before but Trend Micro Worry-Free Remote Manager Console is free.

Michael

Legacy Posted By Username: RCS-Michael
  • Does this work for Trend Micro Officescan?

• Anthony.Wicks
    Does this work for Trend Micro Officescan?

Trend AV Check 1.x supported OfficeScan, WFBS, ScanMail, and ServerProtect. I plan the same support for the 2.x release.

• I have PMed connectx on several occasions wishing to purchase his scripts without reply.

So if he is no longer around can someone tell me where I can get them or how I can monitor and report on trend.

Legacy Posted By Username: supa
  • Just to let everyone know I'm not DEAD, at least not yet. I've been a one person shop for the last year or so due to the economy. So I do coding on my projects as time allows. But lately, I've been busy as all get out. I haven't even been staying up on other things like my fitness or stuff. I'll get back to coding ASAP. Just wish I had more hours in a day. BTW, Last time I checked the code it is about 75% done. I've got a few things to iron-out. And I still haven't completely figured out how to handle the monitoring the new SmartScan mode's pattern files.

Matt

• I've been battling with this too... 2nd VBS script from Onno de Vries for trend 6.0 has a major flaw - it just looked at a registry KEY - called PatternAGE(something like that) it's actually the GUI ALERT setting for when to notify the user that their trend was out of date - that's why it always reports 7... what a JOKE.

the first script he made worked for a week for me... seemed to at least - then this week it's saying the pattern date is 20100803 and it's 192 days old - ALERT! HUH? I think the VBS is a bit screwed up.

Common Kaseya - it's been too long with out a VALID alert system for Virus patterns and installs... this should be a basic feature - what's up with this?

-Andy

Legacy Posted By Username: abrogan
  • Did you verify the VBcode. There is date method which Onno had used was dd / mm / yyyy but it needs to be changed to mm / dd / yyyy to adjust for your regional settings.

Earlier I used to get many false alerts as well but those are better now.

Legacy Posted By Username: mnagra