Kaseya Community

K2 Monitor Set with *ALL

• I'm playing around with an eval of K2 and ran into an interesting issue.

I have a Monitor Set for disk space. This dynamically finds all the disks by using the *ALL instance and works beautifully in K2008. However, when I use the same instance in K2 (doesn't matter if it's imported or created new), the monitor set gets all screwed up and starts finding drives that don't exist on my test system.

Has anybody else seen this? The weird thing is that when I edit the Monitor Set I only see the *ALL instanace. However, when I export the set I get a ton of strange instances with names like "inetinfo" and "msftesql" instead of *ALL or C:.

Legacy Forum Name: K2 Monitor Set with *ALL,
    Legacy Posted By Username: CCDave
  • This would definitely be a problem for us. Please keep us updated. (not on K2 yet)

Legacy Forum Name: Monitor Sets,
    Legacy Posted By Username: GDRBrian
  • Hi there,

I've been curious about making a monitor set for disk space, however i am rather new to Kaseya and have no idea how to go about it. I'm using Kaseya 2008, obvious i know but i still thought id state it!

Thanks

Brendan

Legacy Posted By Username: Brendan.Thompson
  • Brendan.Thompson
    Hi there, I've been curious about making a monitor set for disk space, however i am rather new to Kaseya and have no idea how to go about it. I'm using Kaseya 2008, obvious i know but i still thought id state it! Thanks Brendan

Use this:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?>
    <monitor_set_definition version="1.0">
    -<MonitorSet name="Disk Free Space" description='Dynamically count all drives and alarm if any drive goes below 1000MB.'>
    -<Counters>
    <Counter name='Drive'  description='null' counterObject='LogicalDisk'  counter='Free Megabytes'  counterInstance='*ALL'  counterSampleInterval='300' collectionOperator='Over'  collectionThreshold='-1' trendTimeSpan='1209600' trendReArm='3600' thresholdOperator='Under'  thresholdAmount='1000' thresholdDuration='25' thresholdWarning='10' thresholdReArm='3600'/>
    </Counters>
    -<Services>
    </Services>
    -<Processes>
    </Processes>
    </MonitorSet>
    </monitor_set_definition>

It will make a Monitor Set that will dynamically get all drives on a server/workstation, capture data every 5 minutes, and alert below 1GB. Once you import it, you can edit if desired.

[edited by: Brendan Cosgrove at 5:25 PM (GMT -8) on 12-20-2010] .
  • We have that issue with sets now. We are not on K2. The only answer we have gotten from Kaseya is to remove the sets, let all the counters delete, and then reapply.

This works, but obviously is not a solution. Can you try that on your test box and let us know how it goes? We will definitely hold out on the upgrade if this issue is present. All of our monitoring sets for disk space use the *ALL.

Legacy Posted By Username: Jpinkston
  • Jpinkston
    We have that issue with sets now. We are not on K2. The only answer we have gotten from Kaseya is to remove the sets, let all the counters delete, and then reapply.

This works, but obviously is not a solution. Can you try that on your test box and let us know how it goes? We will definitely hold out on the upgrade if this issue is present. All of our monitoring sets for disk space use the *ALL.

I tried this already and had no luck. However, I think I did find a little insight into how the *ALL actually works.

In the Monitor Lists section you can add your own Counter Instances. The *ALL simply adds all Counter Instances already defined in Kaseya (by Kaseya or yourself) to the list. In K2008 it then seems to filter out anything that doesn't match. In K2 it doesn't. That appears to be the problem.

I've opened a ticket... wish me luck!

• CCDave
    I tried this already and had no luck. However, I think I did find a little insight into how the *ALL actually works.

In the Monitor Lists section you can add your own Counter Instances. The *ALL simply adds all Counter Instances already defined in Kaseya (by Kaseya or yourself) to the list. In K2008 it then seems to filter out anything that doesn't match. In K2 it doesn't. That appears to be the problem.

I've opened a ticket... wish me luck!

Have you gotten any responses on this issue? I'm seeing the same thing, but with using *ALL for Services, not Counter Instances. However that never worked in K2008, but it did work in either RC1 or 2, but now doesn't work right in the final release, even though multiple people at Kaseya told me it would be working correctly in K2. I started a ticket but haven't heard anything back other than "it's been escalated".

Legacy Posted By Username: kcears
  • kcears
    Have you gotten any responses on this issue? I'm seeing the same thing, but with using *ALL for Services, not Counter Instances. However that never worked in K2008, but it did work in either RC1 or 2, but now doesn't work right in the final release, even though multiple people at Kaseya told me it would be working correctly in K2. I started a ticket but haven't heard anything back other than "it's been escalated".

Nope, same response.

• Finally got a response last week (or two weeks ago, been too busy).

I worked with one of the developers of the Monitor module and he found what he was looking for. There is actually an issue with the Monitor Log page and with the Export Monitor Set page that is causing all the grief I'm seeing. He sent me some "beta" pages to put on my system and it fixed these issues right up. (They reverted back that night due to a hotfix.)

The "real" hotfix for this should have been rolled out already. I just checked my system and everything looks right. (It's still a testing system that I don't touch for days sometimes.)

• We have also K2 and the same problem. In the monitor log we see disks that does not exist in the server. We applyed all hot fixes and this does nog work. What is the solution for this?

Legacy Posted By Username: ServicedeskDG
  • What I found while working with KSupport is that some of this is "by design" but the way the "advertised" it was horribly not right.

In our case I was having an issue with "harddiskvolume2" it does show up in the perfmon along with the _Total and C:\, but it was not what I wanted to monitor...

The biggest issue with getting this resolved for us was that I had multiple tickets open with multiple techs working on it, so while one would fix something the other would inadvertently break it as they were both applying "hot fixes" to the same module. Adding to the frustration would be yet another tech working on something completely different running a "re-apply schema" or running an "Update list by scan" when I was told not to run this as it would mess with the temporary *All fix that was in place. Then (the most recent FUBAR) was that the last re-apply schema that was run had hung at one point or another which inadvertently not allowed many of the hot fixs that were installed (like a month and half worth) not to be installed correctly... So there is a bit of lack of communication on their (as well as our) side, but in the end KSupport was able to get things straghtened out for me... it took a bit longer than I would have liked but having 4 tickets opened under the same module and working with 4 different techs was a bit of a gamble too.

In short, when a tech "applys a hot fix" to you and you alone, it is probably something that was created to address your specific issue, when a global "hot fix" is released, it may undo what the tech had done to fix your issue. This is some what understandable as what I want fixed now, you may not have even noticed. So if you see a problem get it fixed then it comes back again, as frustrating as it is, you may have to open a new ticket (I prefer this method over reopening a ticket) to get your problem solved. Keep the original ticket number handy as they do keep the "temp fixes" on file... or at least they did for me.

@ServicedeskDG double check the perfmon on that machine as soon as you can, if the disk does not appear there then open a ticket and get them working on it, if it does there are work arounds for that... as with for "harddiskvolume2" and "harddiskvolume1" the tech suggested that he nuke the instances from our DB until a proper fix could be put in place.

Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty
  • You know, I was just going to edit my last post, but I thought to myself, "Self this deserves a whole new posting"... so here goes

So there I am, trying to figure out why I can't get this stupid monitor to function correctly... I mean it should be an easy one. Tell me how many useres are logged on to the termserv...

I fire up permon and i see the monitor set, off... OK I'll just start it up...
    WTF Too many monitors...

Open every single damnd monitor there... and I'm monitoring for drives like S:\ when this machine only has a c and d drive...

I'm about to take all the nice things I've said about KSupport back...

Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty