Kaseya Community

Monitor for ESXi or ESX

• We are looking at going with a ESX server to host virtual's on.

Has anyone played with them and is there monitors that we can use, SNMP etc?

Legacy Forum Name: Monitor for ESXi or ESX,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Russell
  • This is possible by installing the management tools from the manufacturer and let them send snmp traps. Look at the following thread:

http://community.kaseya.com/xsp/f/132/t/10189.aspx

how to collect the snmp traps and log them in the event log's, which can be easely read by the kaseya agent.

I have already set this up for several esx hosts. Kaseya senior Onno de Vries has spent a lot of time with me to realize this.

Legacy Forum Name: Monitor Sets,
    Legacy Posted By Username: tjibbe@nexusict.nl
  • Just a note on this may not be of interest

If you are using HP hardware version 3.5 or lower of ESX the HP managment tools do not support some hardware monitoring such as hard disks (stupid I know but true) You have to upgrade to ESXi 4 I believe.

We had this issue on three sites.

Legacy Posted By Username: mmartin
  • So I'm an SNMP and K newbie. Think I could get a little more information as to the process for getting K to look at ESXi for SNMP? MOST of the ESXi boxes I'm running are HP and are running the HP agents.

Legacy Posted By Username: DiPersiaTech
  • mmartin
    Just a note on this may not be of interest

If you are using HP hardware version 3.5 or lower of ESX the HP managment tools do not support some hardware monitoring such as hard disks (stupid I know but true) You have to upgrade to ESXi 4 I believe.

We had this issue on three sites.

At the moment I manage about 4 esx machine with vmware esx 3.5 installed. Almost all off them are HP DL 380 G5 servers. HP provides management tools which you can install and get you an 'System's Managament Homepage' as you also get when using an windows installation.

In the system's management homepage it is possible to manage hardware status, even disk status is displayed.

When all the settings are configured it is possible to create an alarm in kaseya when a physical disk fails.

Legacy Posted By Username: tjibbe@nexusict.nl
  • thats really interesting,

We have a number of ESX boxes and we setup SIM on the VC server.

All of the servers were installed with the HP version of ESX which is just ESX preloaded with HP tools.

SIM picked up the servers fine but would not detect the disks. We contacted HP and they told us it was not support in ESX 3.5 but was resolved in ESX 4.

We are currently planning to upgrade all our servers to 4 so as to get full monitoring.

So if you have it working I would welcome some guidance as to how you got disk monitoring as this would save us a lot of unnecessary hassle.

We have the hp tools installed on each ESX and we are using the latest version of SIM to manage the boxes.

Cheers

michael

Legacy Posted By Username: mmartin