Kaseya Community

SonicWall WAN Failover monitoring

• Good morning to all!

I've been trying to do this with Sonicwall's and haven't found a way yet, so I hope someone out there has an idea on this.

A lot of our clients have redundant Internet connections that go into the 2nd wan port on the Sonicwall. Now the sonicwall will handle failover, then failback when the primary is back on line, and does this well. It does it so well that we usually do not know when we're on the failover for quite a while (an hour, few hours, a day?). I would like to be able to monitor when a failover happens, and when a failback occurs.

I have failed at being able to do this via snmp. Does anyone out there have a good solution for this?

FYI - I know I can do ping checks but what I'd really want is to have the hardware tell me when it does something.

Legacy Forum Name: SonicWall WAN Failover monitoring,
    Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • Technically the agents would be coming from a different gateway to the Kserver if you setup failover correctly (2 different ISP's) and that you can be alerted on..... I think. I will look at it and get back to you.

Legacy Forum Name: Monitor Sets,
    Legacy Posted By Username: TITaN
  • There are ways to monitor the failover externally, but I was definitely looking for a way to communicate with the device (SNMP) and do this.

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • Did you look at mysonicwall.com and get the mibs for the device? The higher end Sonicwalls that offer multiple x0,x1, x2 etc... interfaces have some pretty good mibs in the downloads section of mysonicwall.com.

Legacy Posted By Username: TITaN
  • boudj ,
    I have a SonicWALL NSA3500 running SonicOS Enhanced 5.x. I was just looking through the Log feature, and there looks like there is an option to configure Alerts for certain Categories of events. One of the categories is WAN Failover, which the online help files says "Logs WAN failover activity"

If you check the box for Alerts for this Category, then enter your general ticketing system email address in the "Send Alerts to E-mail Address" box on the Automation page, you shoudl then be abel to get a ticket generated whenever a WAN failover occurs.

I have not tested this myself, but might try later this weekend. Hope this helps.

Lloyd

Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf