Kaseya Community

Run monitor sets during business hours only?

• Hi Everyone,

We have a client that we only need to monitor their accounting DB from 6a - 9p. After 9p they stop the db so that they can do an offsite backup and then at 6a restart the db. Does anyone know of a way that we can setup monitoring sets to only monitor the service from 6a - 9p? We keep getting alerts from 9p - 6a that the db is down, I KNOW THIS!

Any help would be appreciated!
    Ted

Legacy Forum Name: Run monitor sets during business hours only?,
    Legacy Posted By Username: tfreitas
  • You could set up a suspend alarms schedule for that machine for the time it's offline, but then you won't get any alerts...

Legacy Forum Name: Monitor Sets,
    Legacy Posted By Username: ssugar
  • Ya, I've thought about that, but then we don't know if anything else is happening like account login failures, internet outages, etc. That's not a good solution.

Legacy Posted By Username: tfreitas
  • Thought about reversing your monitoring to say only alert if a particular event is NOT seen?

[edit] hmm, it's a service you're monitoring .. my idea relates to event logs, but maybe you can think of something Smile

Legacy Posted By Username: wodger
  • Instead of using a monitoring set, you use a script to monitor the service.

The way I see it, you'd create two scripts.

Script 1 - Run every 5 minutes (or whatever you want)
    - Get local machine time and strip out everything except the hour in 24 hour format.
    - Call Script 2

Script 2 - Called by script 1
    - Checks to see if the machine time is within business hours.
    -If it is, check to see if the service is running
    -If it isn't, do not check the service.

• A slightly related request of my own, I have a monitor set which monitors CPU usage, but ever night at 11:00 when the backup is running it alarms. I don't want to suspend the alarms because then I would not know about any other issues.

Cheers,

Legacy Posted By Username: djmundy
  • In that case... or the business hours case, you could also do the following:

Set up your monitor sets to monitor for issues, but instead of sending an email or creating a ticket, it calls a "Time Check" script that finds out what time it is and then sends an email/writes a event log error that you could alert on if it's within the right time range.