Kaseya Community

Symantec Backup Exec 12

• I am trying to monitor failure/success events for Symantec Backup exec 12.

Howerver, I keep getting alerts saying the process does not exist.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so do you have a solution

Legacy Forum Name: Symantec Backup Exec 12,
    Legacy Posted By Username: GClear
  • I don't have BE 12 ... However, if you are monitoring for "success/failure events", you shouldn't get "process does not exist".

Can you provide some more detail about what it is you are monitoring? Are you monitoring processes, services as well as events?

Legacy Forum Name: Monitor Sets,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Lmhansen
  • Hi,

I just assigned the monitor sets for backupexec success & Failure to my backup server. I just want to know if the backup was successful or not.

I setup no further events, services etc

Regards

Ger

• Is the monitor set monitoring the BE Engine, Event Logs etc.

What exactly are you monitoring in order to get your results?

Cheers,

Legacy Posted By Username: LANWorx
  • Just to clarify a couple of things:
    * Event sets are used to monitor the event log. This is where Backup Exec reports good/bad backup jobs.
    * Monitor sets are used to monitor performance counters, processes and services. This will tell you if a service stopped, or if your hard drive is too busy.

When you say you used the "Backup Exec monitor set" to look for good/bad backups, that is somewhat confusing, esp. with regards to the initial message of "process does not exist".

This is why we're asking for a little more and detailed information as to what you are doing so we can help you do what you want to do.

• The easiest way to monitor backup exec is through the Event IDs. However it is possible to monitor failed and successful backups through a monitor set, I wouldn't recommend it.

Step 1
    Go to: Agent, Event Log Settings
    Select the servers with backup exec. Then assign the Event Logs - Application (error, warning, Informational).

Step 2
    Go to: Monitor, Alerts
    Select Alert Function = Event Logs, Application
    Define events to match or ignore = New event set
    Name the event set whatever you want, then add the event IDs for failed backups, successful backups, updates, etc....

Step 3
    Select the servers with backup exec (the servers from step one) and apply the event set.

Legacy Posted By Username: pbrophy
  • bp,

Thanks for that, it does exactly what I need

Thanks

Ger

• I have been looking at the Backup Exec performance counters myself (BE Engine) as the Eventlogs seems to have limitations on how you can report on them.

Ideally I want to use it as part of the Executive Summary Report instead of the Backup module that you can get with Kaseya that works via the OEM Acronis API. The reason for this is that most of our clients have been sold on the wonders of Tape drives and it may be some time before we can get them to move to using Kaseya's backup solution.

Has anybody had any luck with performance counters yet? I have managed to get some data but nothing I can use yet. I also found the BE Server option today.

Legacy Posted By Username: HardKn0X
  • Here's what I do:

Two event sets, one with "good" events, the other with "bad" events.
    Two scripts, one "good" and one "bad".
    When an event is triggered, the corresponding script is executed, which simply writes a note in the script log.

In the Executive Summary report, you can then "count" the occurence of the "good backup" and "bad backup" text strings from the script log.

• Care to share - You can PM if you aren't willing to share with the world.

Legacy Posted By Username: jm-ctaccess
  • Funny enough I was toying with that idea myself this morning until I got some data out off the performace counters still need to tweak it a bit. I also now got Successful and Media insert request working under the Eventlog monitoring so I decided to stick with the Eventlog entries for the Executive Summary and then use the Monitor Log Reporting for the graphical view if the clients want pretty pictures. I will try and share when I got a working solution.

Legacy Posted By Username: HardKn0X
  • To perform the script log count for the executive summary, when setting up event log alerts, first create 2 scripts as described by lmhansen. These can be completely empty scripts, like the "Force Check-in" script, all we need it to do is run. Each time this script is run it will write to the script log. In the executive summary, customize the system activity and add the following lines:

Title: Successful Backup | Row Tye: Script Log | Search Item: | Search Filter: *Success THEN*

Title: Failed Backup | Row Tye: Script Log | Search Item: | Search Filter: *Success THEN*

It will then count all the times the scripts were run based on the period of time your summary covers.

Hope this helps.

Legacy Posted By Username: MaWi
  • Thanks for that works a treat!

Legacy Posted By Username: jpcurrie
  • ok, here are my Backup Exec stuff

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?>
    <event_sets>
      <set_elements setName="Backup Exec Success" eventSetId="46026166">
        <element_data ignore="0" source="Backup Exec" category="*" eventId="34112" username="*" description="*Job Success*"/>
        <element_data ignore="0" source="Backup Exec" category="*" eventId="57755" username="*" description="*Job Completed with Exceptions*"/>
        <element_data ignore="0" source="Backup Exec" category="*" eventId="57743" username="*" description="*"/>
        <element_data ignore="0" source="NTBackup" category="*" eventId="8019" username="*" description="*"/>
      </set_elements>
    </event_sets>

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?>
    <event_sets>
      <set_elements setName="Backup Exec Failure" eventSetId="48118606">
        <element_data ignore="0" source="Backup Exec" category="*" eventId="34113" username="*" description="*Job Failed*"/>
        <element_data ignore="0" source="Backup Exec" category="*" eventId="57745" username="*" description="*"/>
        <element_data ignore="0" source="Backup Exec" category="*" eventId="57797" username="*" description="*"/>
        <element_data ignore="0" source="Backup Exec" category="*" eventId="58061" username="*" description="*"/>
        <element_data ignore="0" source="Backup Exec" category="*" eventId="58064" username="*" description="*"/>
        <element_data ignore="0" source="Backup Exec" category="*" eventId="57476" username="*" description="*"/>
        <element_data ignore="0" source="Backup Exec" category="*" eventId="34114" username="*" description="*"/>
        <element_data ignore="0" source="Backup Exec" category="*" eventId="57753" username="*" description="*"/>
        <element_data ignore="0" source="Backup Exec" category="*" eventId="34338" username="*" description="*"/>
        <element_data ignore="0" source="Backup Exec" category="*" eventId="58057" username="*" description="*"/>
        <element_data ignore="0" source="Backup Exec" category="*" eventId="33919" username="*" description="*"/>
        <element_data ignore="0" source="Backup Exec" category="*" eventId="58053" username="*" description="*"/>
        <element_data ignore="0" source="NTBackup" category="*" eventId="8017" username="*" description="*"/>
      </set_elements>
    </event_sets>

These works with Backup Exec 9 through 11, and should work with 12 as well. As far as I know, Symantec has not changed anything with regards to the messages BE is generating. Please note that NTBackup is in there too. We have a couple clients that are still using NTBackup, and rather than splitting things up and making it messy with regards to what event set to assign to "backup servers", I've put it all in one. My BE event log setup is simple. Two entries, one for fail and one for success. Each runs their own success/fail script as appropriate to write an entry in the script log. I can then easily report on this in the Executive Summary report. I also send out e-mails to fail/success addresses so that tickets are created for the event. The script is simply:
    Script Name: Backup Success
    Script Description: Simply writes a line to script log
    IF True 
    THEN
       Write Script Log Entry
         Parameter 1 : Backup completed successfully.
             OS Type : 0
    ELSE

There is a corresponding "Backup Failure" that writes a "failed" message to the log.

[edited by: Brendan Cosgrove at 5:17 PM (GMT -8) on 12-20-2010] .
  • This is almost exactly what we do.

Legacy Posted By Username: LANWorx