Kaseya Community

Monitor set not working for me

• I have a computer that for some reason is really slow. The CPU usage is all the way up to 100%. And, the System process is constantly at 98 and 99. So I thought this was a good way to test one of the newer Monitor Sets - ZC-SV2-Machine Health. I assigned this to machine in question with alert and email enabled, and waited. And waited. And kept waiting. No alerts. No email notification. And yet the CPU usage is still stuck at 100% on this computer. Am I doing something wrong here, or does this not work the way I think it should?

Legacy Forum Name: Monitor set not working for me,
    Legacy Posted By Username: peterlandau
  • the Machine Health is apparently only for Windows 2003 - but if CPU Usage is at 100% all the time you have a stuck process in there somewhere and need to end task that or nothing will work...

Legacy Forum Name: Monitor Sets,
    Legacy Posted By Username: TBK Consulting
  • TBK Consulting
    the Machine Health is apparently only for Windows 2003

Not true... I have Machine Health applied to several XP boxes and it's picking up the CPU, page file, and disk usage just fine. The "ZC-SV2-Windows Server Monitor" set is for monitoring Server 2003 health.

peterlandau, if the machine is stuck at 100% CPU, I would think that perhaps the performance monitors are not loading (or are going to take ages to load). As much as it would be nice to get that type of data, I would suggest killing the process that pegging the box and then seeing if some data gets returned. Also, did you check that all of the monitors are responding? Monitor Log -> PC-Name: Does the CPU monitor have an error symbol next to it?

Legacy Posted By Username: arobar
  • We have a custom monitor set for monitoring workstation performance. When we get an alert we run some scripts so we can identify what process was causing the problem so we can go back and look at it if the alarm has cleared.

Often, because the machine is at 100%, the script will only partially run. My guess is that if you've try to install monitoring on a machine that's already at 100%, it's simply to overwork to run the Kaseya scripts to install monitoring.

Legacy Posted By Username: doug.jenkins@ispire.ca
  • Actually, I don't need to solve the problem as to why it is at 100%, because the computer has been replaced in production. However, I thought I would use it for testing this kind of performance monitoring. I have rebooted a few times and it still isn't taking. Because this computer has had performance problems, I thought it would be a good one to test for this. I was hoping that this kind of thing could be put out there on my supported PCs so that I could be allerted when someone is slow, but this doesn't seem to work for me.

Legacy Posted By Username: peterlandau
  • I just took a look at the default health monitoring set and it's not set to alert on anything. It's just for stats collection. I have just edited mine so that it throws alarms on high CPU usage, low available RAM, high page file usage, etc. That's what you'll need to do to make it throw alerts.

Legacy Posted By Username: arobar