Kaseya Community

Reporting on RAM sufficiency across multiple systems

This question is answered

You'd think this would be like kindergarten-level slam-dunk easy in a powerful tool like Kaseya...  but I see no way to do it at all.  I'm still just frankly amazed that Kaseya doesn't do a better job on the basics.  I don't expect K to come with all sorts of complicated stuff already done for me (although some of those scripts are really impressive), but... the basics?  Come on.

I want to run a report across multiple systems, reporting on committed RAM vs physical RAM, so I can tell which machines need more, or are wasting it (the latter is important for virtual machines).  And I wouldn't mind throwing in page write rate history as well, as it's about the only reliable single-parameter indicator of RAM insufficiency.

Is there a way to create reports like this at all in Kaseya?

If it were just for PCs, I wouldn't care so much, but we're doing more virtualization all the time, and it's more important now.

Just for clarity, most single-value parameters like "% Committed Bytes In Use" and such aren't useful, as they tend to be based on the commit limit (which includes page file space) rather than physical RAM, or include normal paging activity that has nothing to do with RAM sufficiency.

There doesn't seem to be any other discussion on this topic on the new forum.  See old-forum postings on this topic:

http://forum.kaseya.com/showthread.php?t=10247

http://forum.kaseya.com/showthread.php?t=7392

http://forum.kaseya.com/showthread.php?t=10387

/kenw

Verified Answer
  • You have to create the monitor set yourself, it's what I had to do, and yes It's a pain in the place where the sun don't shine because you'll end up creating multiple sets for different RAM sizes (1GB/2GB etc) then you'll probablly create individual monitors from those per server.

The way I ended up doing this (it may not be the right way, but it worked for me) is I everytime the monitor tripped I had it write to the procedure log and created the report from that.

I had an idea about using the log parcer to do some math for me then pumping out the results to a report, but ultimately lazyness kicked in and I just went running the reports and using excel to do do the math for me.

Edit: if you poke around the perfmon you should find the counters that you're looking for.

[edited by: thirteentwenty at 1:15 PM (GMT -7) on 10-28-2010] Blah
All Replies
  • I did this by creating a monitor set for the commit size. for the following

%commited bytes in use

Commit limit (and)

Commit bytes

• I _almost_ said that's completely useless, as it reports based on page file settings, not physical RAM.   Which is true.   But you _could_ go to every individual machine and adjust the alarm limit based on physical RAM.

So it's not COMPLETELY useless.   But it sure as H*** isn't what I bought Kaseya for!

And it's not a report, which is what I asked about.

/kenw

• I _almost_ said something rude... if you want a report you'll have to create it yourself... it's really not hard to figure out...

• Ffiiiinnne!    

In my original posting, I said "I want to run a report across multiple systems, reporting on committed RAM vs physical RAM" and asked "Is there a way to create reports like this at all in Kaseya?"

So, I gather you're saying "yes, figure it out for yourself".

I have to admit, you provoked me to give it another shot.  But I'm still stuck

Tell me, where is there a Monitor parameter that shows physical RAM?   And how do I produce a report that shows both that and committed bytes.   And how do I display that as a percentage, bar graph, alarm or whatever.

The only report I know of that shows physical RAM at all is the Machine Summary report.   Are you suggesting I run that plus the Monitor Committed Bytes report and compare the two manually for every system?

I'll be happy if you're right, but I think you're wrong.

/kenw

• You have to create the monitor set yourself, it's what I had to do, and yes It's a pain in the place where the sun don't shine because you'll end up creating multiple sets for different RAM sizes (1GB/2GB etc) then you'll probablly create individual monitors from those per server.

The way I ended up doing this (it may not be the right way, but it worked for me) is I everytime the monitor tripped I had it write to the procedure log and created the report from that.

I had an idea about using the log parcer to do some math for me then pumping out the results to a report, but ultimately lazyness kicked in and I just went running the reports and using excel to do do the math for me.

Edit: if you poke around the perfmon you should find the counters that you're looking for.

[edited by: thirteentwenty at 1:15 PM (GMT -7) on 10-28-2010] Blah
  • Thanks, 1320, that answers my question, and IMHO it supports my original position: that Kaseya doesn't do the basics well.   There are cheaper products that do it better, and waste a whole lot less of my time.  

Maybe K can do "anything" if you spend enough time configuring it.    Well, so can assembler code.   I bought Kaseya to help me be efficient with my time.

ITMT, I've marked your response as the answer to my question, which I take to read as "no, it can't do what you asked, without manual entry of report data" -- i.e. RAM sizes.

BTW, I've checked permon, I don't see it there at all, either.   I'm pretty sure it's in WMI somewhere, because PRTG uses WMI and finds in in a couple of seconds automatically, but that does me no good with Kaseya Monitor reports.   I've heard elsewhere that K doesn't use WMI;  seems to be true.

The more I use Kaseya, the more I like PRTG.  It's FAR more efficient of my time!

/kenw

• Hi Ken,

I agree, if you're looking for a cheaper monitoring solution then you can get Nagios for free.  However, Kaseya is a management platform.  That said, we do have a lot of plans for monitoring.  You will see the first signs of that in Network Discovery which is slated for this quarter.  Kaseya Enterprise Monitoring will follow shortly thereafter.  Hopefully that will address your monitoring requirements and still give you all the management capabilities you need to increase your efficiency.

- Max

• This will show Total RAM and Free Ram. You could subtract to get Commited RAM?

On Error Resume Next

Set objs = GetObject("winmgmts:")_

.InstancesOf ("Win32_OperatingSystem")

For Each obj In objs

WScript.Echo "Total Memory: " & obj.TotalVisibleMemorySize/1024 & VBlf & _

"Free Memory: " & obj.FreePhysicalMemory/1024

Next

• Thanks, Max, but it I wanted cheap I wouldn't have gotten Kaseya.  I wanted to reduce the amount of human time required to get the job done.   PRTG does that.   Kaseys doesn't.  

What really iritates me is that Kaseya could, easily.   These aren't complex, difficult things to build into Kaseya -- they're basic, and every PC can do them,   Look at Task Manager.  

/kenw

• Thanks, Bill.  But I have no idea how I would use that to create a Kaseya report on a machine group.   Is that documented somewhere?  Is it straightforward?

/kenw

• I think that Kaseya is one of those "the more time you put into it the more you get out of it" deals... it has its goods and its bads, I dont gripe much about it because I'm used to doing all of the upfront work to make life easier in the long run... anyways...

On to part two...

I'm just going to assume you know how to get to the place where you create the report...

Create a new report based on Logs (on the left side) and Agent Procedure Logs (on the right)

Hit Next

Select your options on the general tab then the Report Parameters tab select how many days ago you ran the script...

Apply the name of thescript you ran use

If you're looking for a specific result type it in the last line encased in the asterisks.

Click save

Hopefully you gave it a good name thats easy to find (it'll be in your myReports folder)

Highlight and click run

This is where you can select your

Org/Machine Group/specific Machine ID and what I think you're more interested in is the View (you probably have one for just servers so you could cram out report with all orgs servers... bulk buys they rock!)

Distribution  and general tabs are pretty straight forward...

PS the reporting documentation isnt that great with Kaseya...

Edit:
    No Private messages to other users that sucks... I have a few questions for you Ken, Mind if I email you?

[edited by: thirteentwenty at 5:20 PM (GMT -7) on 10-28-2010] blah blah