Kaseya Community

Dell Poweredge & Optiplex hardware monitoring - how to do it?

• what is the best way to monitor server and desktop hardware health?
    most servers are dell Poweredge and i need to be able to get alerts for problems such as RAID array or disk issues, power supply, fan, etc. all the things that i know openmanage catches. i'm guessing it's simple to set this up in kaseya as we already have agents on most servers.

also the same question for Dell Optiplex desktops, and HP Proliant servers.

i know there are options for monitoring, i want to know the best practice with kaseya.

• For Dell's with OpenManage, any alert gets dumped into the Windows event logs. You can create an event log monitor to watch for the events and ignore any you do not want.

Not sure about HP, we don't have any that I know of being monitored.

• Its exactly the same HP system management dumps critiical alerts into the event log. (temps, failed devices, degraded devices).  I am sure there is a list of all of the events it logs somewhere, but my googling seems to be failing this morning.

[edited by: Rohop at 3:50 AM (GMT -7) on 10-13-2010] corrected spelling
  • Event Set ZC-CM1-Dell Hardware Monitoring

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?>

<event_sets>

<set_elements setName="ZC-CM1-Dell Hardware Monitoring" eventSetId="67636222" snmpTraps="0">

<element_data ignore="0" source="DELL Open Manage Server*" category="*" eventId="-1" username="*" description="*"/>

<element_data ignore="0" source="pedge*" category="*" eventId="-1" username="*" description="*"/>

<element_data ignore="0" source="perc*" category="*" eventId="-1" username="*" description="*"/>

<element_data ignore="0" source="Server Administrator*" category="*" eventId="-1" username="*" description="*"/>

<element_data ignore="0" source="Storage Administrator*" category="*" eventId="-1" username="*" description="*"/>

</set_elements>

</event_sets>

Tweak as needed. Hope it helps

• I have found that Dell Open Manage, out of the box new install, doesn't always write everything to the logs. We open it up, go through each alert, and tell it to alert to screen (for servers) with a popup and save. Then we are sure the alert gets written to the log (and using the Dell Event Set, we capture it and alert immediately!).