Kaseya Community

Delay restarting services using monitor set

• We have particular services that do not restart after reboots or can stop during the day. To over come this, I have created a monitor set to restart the services if they stop. The Restart Interval is 30 mins. This however is creating problems if we want to stop the services to do some maintenance on the servers. My thought was that if the Restart Interval was 30 mins was that Kaseya would wait 30 mins after the service stopped before it would attempt to restart it. What is actually happening is that it tries to restart immediately.

Is there any way I can configure it to delay the initial restart attempt? Or is there a simple way to configure a maintenance period so that monitor sets will not apply during this time?

Jo

Legacy Forum Name: Delay restarting services using monitor set,
    Legacy Posted By Username: jo_eggers
  • What services are you having problems with.

It has been my experience that if Windows services stop for no reason, then you have some sort of resource problem on the server; ie not enough physical memory (the usual problem) or a server that is too busy.

hc

Legacy Forum Name: Monitor/Event Sets/SNMP Sets,
    Legacy Posted By Username: howardc
  • It is mostly the Symantec Mail Security services for Exchange and SMTP - yes it is mostly resource related but some of our customers can be a bit reluctant to spend money. As having these services down can have a huge impact on the customer, I have elected to create the monitor sets.

• Hi

SMSME is not a Windows service although SMTP is. I have not seen SMTP shutdown.. but if SMTP is shutting down I would look at how many emails are pendingthrough the SMTP service coupled with a slower disk subsystem.... Maybe an external hosted anti-span solution would help.

We have some three dozen SMSMEs running with no problems... not even sure where to look for that one.

You can also set the services to automatically restart up to three times in Windows.

Hc

• Thanks Howard, I know adding more RAM to the server will resolve many of these issues.

But the question really is - if I have a monitor set that starts a service how can I get it not to start it immediately but to wait a period before attempting the restart. OR is there a way to stop the monitor sets applying for a certain timeframe?

• Hi

One of the options in scripts is labeled:

Select time units or immediate to execute script right away. And the choices are "immediate, minutes, hours, days"

hc

• Does immediate restarthappen only for the Symantec Mail Security service? Since this is a security-related service it might be that another related Symantec service or process (acting like a watchdog)on the remote machine might be restarting this service automatically. This is known behavior for anti-virus/anti-spyware products of late for obvious reasons.

-Ed

Legacy Posted By Username: bellcpa
  • Vote for this feature many it will be released in a future kaseya release: helpdesk.kaseya.com/.../219200048-Monitoring-Automatic-services-with-a-time-dealy-for-ones-that-start-as-needed-or-have-a-delay-on-start-up-