Kaseya Community

Monitor Outlook Web Access

• We have a customer, every once and awhile Outlook Web Access stops working, but IIS stays up.

Kaseya gets a response on port 80(using external check) But OWA is in fact down.

Anyone have any monitoring ideas? There are no log entries made or services that cause this that we can find. The box has to be rebooted to remedy the issue.

Thanks!

Legacy Forum Name: Monitor Outlook Web Access,
    Legacy Posted By Username: shaaad
  • Hmm...

I dont have a direct answer to your question... but

I have never seen OWA stop while IIS continues to be up. We have see IIS shutdown. Where we have seen IIS shutdown, the problem turned out to be that the server did not have enough memory. We upped the memory from 1 GB to 2GB and the problem went away.

hc

Legacy Forum Name: Monitor/Event Sets/SNMP Sets,
    Legacy Posted By Username: howardc
  • One way to use Kaseya scripting to monitor a website for content is towrite a script that executes a WGET utility on the machine doing the monitoring to periodically download thetitle page (e.g. index.html),grab itto the KServer and be alertedif the filechanges.

Example:

wgethttp://www.myOWAserver.com/exchange -O owa.html

If the web page is not accessible, owa.html will be blank. When it is returned to the KServer it will replace the previous valid version and trigger an alert. Haven't tested this too thoroughly but in theory it should work

-Ed

Legacy Posted By Username: bellcpa
  • Ed, Thanks much for the response, this is right inline with how I figured this would be done.

Obviously we have a script to install wget built-in. So that's the first step.

So the script could do the wget and output to any file - What would I use to trigger the alert when the output changed? Any scripts you think I could copy/edit?

Legacy Posted By Username: shaaad
  • Well, the quick way is, like I mentioned, by havinga Kaseya script include a Get File step that will take the file and return it back to the server. The stephas an option to "Overwrite existing file and send alert if file changed". In this case, if the web page is inaccessible or has changed, theWGET output file will be different than the one already on the server and once copied back will generate a "File has changed" alert. Unfortunately the alert itself is not intuitive (does not actually tell you that the web site is down/changed).

A better (but more involved) approach would be to write a small VB Script that a Kaseya script will deliver and execute on a remote system. It will:

1. Execues WGET as before

2. Search the output file for certain page content (e.g. "Outlook Web Access" or similar)

3. If content is not found, execute the EVENTCREATE command shipped with Windows to write a custom event log entryinto remote machine's event log (e.g. with a custom event id, source, etc, see EVENTCREATE /?)

Then all you have to do is set up a Kaseya alert to trigger on the custom event and you will get notified if the page is not accessible. I might actually write this VB Script in the near future, but now unfortunatelly my plate isfull... :-?

-Ed

Legacy Posted By Username: bellcpa