SNMP

Forums

Forums
Forums, discussions, and Q&A for all products.

SNMP

• Hello all
    I have for several days been trying to get SNMP to work at one of my sites. It looks straigt forward however I can not get the agent to show me systems that have snmp running. I'm trying to use SNMP for a pix 515 and a Linux box. I can not get kaseya to see them.

My question is does the windows server that is suppose to find the snmp enable systems need any snmp tools installed or is there something else that needs to run on the windows box that will allow capturing the snmp info.

Thank you

Legacy Forum Name: SNMP,
    Legacy Posted By Username: hlindsay
  • Typically when SNMP is enabled on a device that you wish to detect you also have to specify on that device which hosts (by IP address) are allowed to communicate via SNMP withthat device. In this case, you will need to specify the IP address of the machine with a Kaseya agent that will be performing the scan.

Legacy Forum Name: Monitor/Event Sets/SNMP Sets,
    Legacy Posted By Username: bellcpa
  • Hello

I tried several ideas. I setup the snmp clients to allow the monitoring from the kaseya agent and I tried just opening it up to the world. I also tried setting up a windows box with snmp and I get the same results. What is frustrating is I have no real control how kaseya is garbing the data. Does the agent have a program that grabs snmp info. How is it getting the data. Example If I use nagios or Big Brother I would run snmpget from the server that is gathering the snmp information. How does kaseya do it. Is it built in the agent or does the kaseya agent need 3[sup]rd[/sup] party software. I really need to get this working or may lose this customer because I can not monitor there linux and pix boxes. I sold the concept tha I would monitor there network and servers using kaseya. I can do this using other tools but the whole idea of using kaseya was I would not need multiple monitor servers and tools.

Any help would be great
    Thank you

• After doing a little digging it appears that Kaseya relies on the open source NET-SNMP tools and typically resides in c:tempusr folder on a remote machine (if c:temp is the agent folder).

On my Kaseya agent v4.7, the version of NET-SNMP is v5.1.3.1

Find out more info here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/net-snmp/

One thing I would checkis permissions on the folder where logs are stored

(e.g. c:\temp\KMonitorSets)

Make sure the SYSTEM account has rights to write to that folder (justmy guess since Kasay agent runs as local system)

• Heres what I found. I installed the SNMPwalk and ran LAN watch. I found that it does look for snmp when it runs. But kaseya is not showin the interface that there is a host with snmp. Here is what I found in a xml file C:\temp\kMonitorSets\KSNMPMON$1000hcapsrvr03hcap.xml
    :

I ran them manually and it works. My question now is why is Kaseya not showing there is a system with snmp is turend on.

hl
    Thanks

• I found the same thing. The xml file is in the temp folder and it seems to have the info that is needed for kaseya. But it seems the info never gets to kaseya.

On one lan I had 4 computers doing the SNMP Monitoring at the same time and only one of them came back with any info to kaseya. 2 are 2003 servers and 2 2k servers. The 2k terminal server was the one that gave me info.

Comparing the info it looks all the same so I not sure why kaseya doesn't report on it.

Legacy Posted By Username: wcutler
  • I'm having the same issue. I found the XML file with the snmpget commands.

i.e:

"c:\temp\usr\bin\snmpget.exe" -cpublic -v 2c -t 2 -r 0 -O Qstab -M "c:\temp\usr\share\snmp\mibs" 10.10.2.180 .iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifInOctets.1

I get a value when I run it from the command line, verifing that "it works", however It never shows up in the "Assign SNMP" function.

Legacy Posted By Username: myArch-man
  • Does anyone know where to find a MIB for a Kyocera Mita KM4035KX. Kyocera themselves told me they do not provide MIB's, and this seems to be the case for other manufacturers.

Are they written by end user's who need to monitor specific items?

Legacy Posted By Username: bcoleman
  • Does the device support SNMP? If so, and the manufacturer does not offer custom MIBs, my guess would be that your only option is to use generic MIB-II for managing it.

• Yes. I got a monitor set to work withsome of the objects already in Kaseya like sysuptime, sysobjectID and sysname. I need to monitortoner level and particularly page count. I am guessing a MIB specific to this machine is whats needed, but not available.

The Generic MIB-II that you mention. Where can i get this? Is it widely available for download. Or maybe you are referring to "Add SNMP Object->mgmt->mib-2 in the tree. Thanks bellcpa.

• The MIB itself is not the issue, it's whether the snmp device is actually returning any info other than the standard MIB-II responses.

When you look at it's results from the SNMPWALK by clicking on the device in Assign SNMP Monitoring it will have something that looks like

ifIndex.1 : 1
    ifDescr.65539 : Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet
    ifDescr.65538 : Internal RAS Server interface for dial in clients
    ifDescr.1 : Internal loopback interface for 127.0.0 network
    ifAdminStatus.65539 : up
    ifAdminStatus.65538 : up
    ifAdminStatus.1 : up
    enterprises.77.1.2.9.0 : 2
    enterprises.77.1.2.8.0 : 80
    enterprises.77.1.2.7.0 : 4
    enterprises.77.1.2.6.0 : 0
    enterprises.77.1.2.5.0 : 0
    enterprises.77.1.2.4.0 : 86926

The bits that start ifIndex etc are the standard SNMP responses. The bits that start enterprises are the device specific values. If your device does not produce the ones that start 'enterprises' then I reckon you'll be hard pushed to gather any usefull info from it via SNMP other than uptime and its name.

I had a quick look on mibdepot.com and there are no Kyocera mibs at all for any device on there so I think you may be out of luck.

Legacy Posted By Username: CNelsonT2
  • This is the results from the SNMP walk. It only shows if statements.

ifType.1 : ethernetCsmacd
    ifSpeed.1 : 100000000
    ifSpecific.1 : zeroDotZero
    ifPhysAddress.1 : 0:c0:ee:18:9a:cb
    ifOutUcastPkts.1 : 16274
    ifOutQLen.1 : 1
    ifOutOctets.1 : 1119192
    ifOutNUcastPkts.1 : 625
    ifOutErrors.1 : 0
    ifOutDiscards.1 : 0
    ifOperStatus.1 : up
    ifMtu.1 : 1514
    ifLastChange.1 : 0
    ifInUnknownProtos.1 : 6863
    ifInUcastPkts.1 : 55822
    ifInOctets.1 : 72652827
    ifInNUcastPkts.1 : 35719
    ifInErrors.1 : 0
    ifInDiscards.1 : 12
    ifIndex.1 : 1
    ifDescr.1 : IB-21E
    ifAdminStatus.1 : up

It doesn't look like there is anything of value to report on. Even if there was something like enterprises.77.1.2.9.0 : 2 im not quite sure how you would extract info from it. I guess it would be important then to have the MIB to gather this info. Thanks for your help CNelsonT2.

• Exactly. The MIB loaded into the browser within Kaseya creates a folder tree that (if you have the right MIB loaded) matches the enterprises.xxxx.1.2.6.0 structure returned by the walk. Within the enterprises folder there will be the Manufacturers name (the xxxx is the manufacturers unique ID) then under that a folder structure of what you can see or change e.g 1.2.6.0 represents the 6th item of the 2nd subfolder of the 1st subfolder of manufaturer xxxx

You can manually create your MIB from the WALK info but a lot of guess work would be involved when it came to error values etc so you're always better going cap in hand to the vendor first.

Legacy Posted By Username: CNelsonT2
  • Yes. I understand it much better now. Thanks.