Kaseya Community

alert that process is already running (not starts or stops)

• We have a need to generate a list ofall machines having a specific process (not service) already running. I understand that a monitor set can generate an alert when a process transitions (start to stop or stop to start). What's the best practice to just generate a simple list of all machines having a certain process already running?

Legacy Forum Name: alert that process is already running (not starts or stops),
    Legacy Posted By Username: databalance
  • why not write a script to see if a process or exe is running and then have it email the results based on whether it is running or not?

Legacy Forum Name: Monitor/Event Sets/SNMP Sets,
    Legacy Posted By Username: tom@tbkconsulting.biz
  • Yes, possible with some work, but Kaseya should have this capability built into monitoring. I was surprised that it's missing, or maybe I'm just missing something obvious.

To add a data point, I created a monitor set to send an email when the target process starts or stops and assigned to all machines. I received emails from all agents (hundreds!) that the process had stopped. I'm assuming that this is because the process just plain isn't running, so the alert was triggered. In other words, Kaseya assumed that, because the process was not running when the monitor set was assigned, that it had transitioned to the "stop" state.

Does this also mean that a monitor set which monitors *only* for transition to the "start" state will be triggered if the process is running when the set is assigned to the machine?

The online help is sparse in this area. Here's all it says:

Alarm on Transition - Tell the system to Alarm as the process (application) transitions 'up' or 'down'.

Legacy Posted By Username: databalance
  • Just a suggestion ofcourse, but what you could do is run a tasklist on the the workstations...

This should work.... please someone correct me if I am wrong

You will need two scripts...

Lets say you call them "Check tasks (1)" and "Check tasks (2)"

You will need to create (2) first, because you will need to call it up from (1)

In Check tasks (2)

Set it to "IF" , check variable.
    Check a variable called "task_content" to see if your application name exists.
    (for example ati325.exe)
    THEN write a script log entry....

Now.... in (1)

Step1
    Execute a shell command
    "tasklist >> C:tasklists.txt"

Step2
    Get file
    c:tasklist.txt
    set the server file path

Step3
    Get variable
    from file content
    (input the file name.... tasklist.txt)
    specify the name of the variable.... Now this is the variable we called up in script (2).... so that would be "task_content"

Step4
    Execute script
    "Check for task (1)"

Legacy Posted By Username: Stereo